TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Complete tear down and rebuild for my 4R70W and all has gone very smoothly thanks to this and other forums. The only thing that has caused me some concern is at the very end when you go to install the pump. In videos I've seen they seem to be able to turn the input shaft rather easily by hand and also show some end play. After I install my pump, I can't turn the input shaft by hand, however I can turn the output shaft. Also, there is no end play.
I have completely disassembled this thing 3 times looking for an upside down bearing, too many frictions/ steels, anything that I could think of that would cause what I'm guessing is a "too long" of an assembly and have found nothing.
So I started taking some measurements and comparing to dimensions I've found on-line. Two measurements that have me confused; 1) from the last steel of the intermediate clutch pack to the pump surface of the case should be (according to Ford) .945. I measure .7375 which indicates that my pack is too thick/ high however when I measure the overall thickness of the pack, it is .0225" thinner than the the old pack that I'm replacing. 2) my measurement from the top of the reverse drum bearing to the pump surface is .9185 and have seen that it apparently should be in the .8130 range based upon the variety of the colored selective washers. This seems to indicate that the drum is "too low".

What am I missing?

Thanks, Kurt
Typed with two thumbs

·
Super Moderator
10,910 Posts
Have you seen this?

The numbers you mention do not seem familiar, I must be measuring differently.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, that's exactly the info that I've been using as a reference.
Sorry, my numbers don't take into account the "H bar", so add .70" to my numbers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've tried to cast a wide net by placing my situation on 4 forums that have some very knowledgable and experienced members, many of whom have helped me over the years. One person pointed out that the #2 and #9 bearings are very similar and can easily get mixed up.
So I completely disassembled again to verify that I had those two bearing installed correctly, and they are in their proper locations. I'm still looking for any other suggestions.
Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I removed the plastic selective washer, pump o-ring, intermediate frictions /steels and the pump to case gasket. Reinstalled the pump and snugged a couple of bolts to hold the pump in place. I can now turn the shaft by hand and I get some end play. End play measures .054" so if I were to install the thinnest selective washer (.052") I would end up beyond the tight end of the tolerance range of .005" - .020"

Should I just run with the green selective and cross my fingers? The little man on my shoulder say NO!

Just checked my pump to case gasket, .017"
So with the green washer at .052" maybe I'm good to go?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts