TCCoA Forums banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
lightevergreenfrost said:
That is messed up. Well, we never said anyone at Ford was smart about the late birds, maybe they just miscounted.
They did the same with the cats. (Like my 96 Cougar with a 97 Sport package)

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
Damn dude, the 98 would've been a sweet bird under the hood and inside, too bad the outside needed a little work. Granted I probably would've just changed the exterior to my own liking, but that would've been a nice mn-12 from the factory

·
Registered
653 Posts
Falcon5783 said:
Damn dude, the 98 would've been a sweet bird under the hood and inside, too bad the outside needed a little work. Granted I probably would've just changed the exterior to my own liking, but that would've been a nice mn-12 from the factory

From what I've read, it was going to be FWD... :thumbsd:

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
agreed, FWD = :thumbsd:

·
Registered
653 Posts
FastBird232 said:
Wait, the '98 was supposed to be FWD? Or subsequent models?

It was the 1998 that was supposed to be FWD.

SVT2888 said:
I think your thinking of the t-bird that was going to replace the MN-12's. Ford wouldn't waist their money trying to make a rwd platform FWD.

And in response to both of you, if I could find the article I read that talked about this, I'd link it... But I can never find anything I need, especially when I need it. If I ever do find it again, I'll let you know.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Man, what would be the point in turning a RWD platform FWD? Stupid Ford...That makes no sense whatsoever.

Kinda gets you wondering, what would the FWD (non-MN12) Thunderbird be like? Sort of like a Ford Monte Carlo? A two door Taurus variant?

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
The last MN-12 T-Bird (built Sept. 5(?) 1997) is at the Classic Thunderbird Club International's headquarters, in Signal Hill CA, which is near Long Beach I believe.

·
8,239 Posts
somebody take a roadtrip to the LBC, armed with a digital camera. I'd love to see a ton of high res photos of it.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
FastBird232 said:
Man, what would be the point in turning a RWD platform FWD? Stupid Ford...That makes no sense whatsoever.

Kinda gets you wondering, what would the FWD (non-MN12) Thunderbird be like? Sort of like a Ford Monte Carlo? A two door Taurus variant?
Not even Ford would be that stupid... the development costs of turning a RWD into a FWD would be impossibly expensive and never be justifiable. Plus the 4.6 V8 couldn't possibly be transversely mounted in a MN-12 chassis.

I would need to see real concrete proof before I would believe it...

·
Registered
116 Posts
I just spoke with someone at CTCI and they said the last 97 they had was sold about a year ago. He did not know to whom.
The search goes on.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Dezal said:
hey out of curiosity, embalmer on ur website u have a link with a article about the svt thunderbird. did that car ever made production?

They made 4, and at least 3 of them are piles of scrap metal now.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I still think someone could decipher the entire VIN and run a Carfax. We've got the serial number, we just need some nice guy to actually run it...

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Rally said:
They made 4, and at least 3 of them are piles of scrap metal now.

probably soup cans or other cars actually, scrap metal doesnt just sit.... :D

ok done being a smartass :D :D

·
MAMN12 Posse Member
2,903 Posts
FastBird232 said:
I still think someone could decipher the entire VIN and run a Carfax. We've got the serial number, we just need some nice guy to actually run it...
I gave it a try. I'm not too "up" on these things and the fact that it's late doesn't help any. Here's what I came up with, maybe someone else can finish it...

1FA_P624_ _H173196

:confused:

I think I'm missing the restraint info (the first blank) and the year info for the other 2 blanks.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts