TCCoA Forums banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I just figured out what I thought was most of the VIN, but when I worked out the formula for determining the check digit, it came out as a decimal. It could be that I used the VIN digit for the 4.6L engine. Is that what it has, or was it a 3.8L?

The VIN I came up with, minus the check digit: IFALP62W_VH173196.

http://www.tbirdregistry.com/see/vinc.htm
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/see/checkdigit.htm

Those two sites have all the info necessary.

·
8,239 Posts
JeffTBird93 said:
"0 records found in our database."
Just to help out a bit. I run vins a ton, we deal with alot of engines that were ford test vehicles and stuff like that.

0 Records found means that the car was never titled, which makes sense.

We have alot of new explorers that get salvaged that were never titled, and they have the same carfax.

Did it take the VIN, or did it give an error about it being a bad vin number?

·
MAMN12 Posse Member
2,903 Posts
I just did the free "teaser" thing where they usually get you to pay for it. It took the VIN and sent back the right info, just gave me that message, which makes sense now.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Lemme give you a rundown of the VIN, see if I made any mistakes...

1: Country of manufacture, United States
F: Ford Motor Company, Ford Division
A: Ford
L: Vehicle restraint system, Passenger and Driver Airbags
P: Ford passenger car
62: Thunderbird LX 2-door sedan
4: 3.8L engine
3: Check Digit
V: 1997
H: Assembled in Lorain, Ohio
173196: Serial number

The last car has a 3.8L engine. Talk about going out with a bang... :crazy:

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Well, if they sold the car to just an enthusiast, you'd think he'd have registered it by now for his Sunday drives. More than likely, it's in the hands of a private collector or museum, and how we'd go about finding that is beyond me, unless someone at that Thunderbird club can remember who they sold it to. You'd think they'd have a bill of sale lying around somewhere.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Im sure that when they introduced the new bird the final mn12 was no longer worth what it once was. Im sure whoever owns it has it garaged and well taken care of.

Is anyone else surprised that it was not a sport, or even a V8. You think they would have made the last one the best. I would have rather have seen a red sport with the wheels cromed.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
FastBird232 said:
The last car has a 3.8L engine. Talk about going out with a bang... :crazy:
Given that Ford left the MN-12 basically untouched throughout its entire run, it's not too suprising. It gives you the impression that they just wanted to be done with the whole Thunderbird thing.

BTW, how come no one ever hears about the last MN-12 Cougar ? What's the story with that one?

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
lightevergreenfrost said:
Im sure that when they introduced the new bird the final mn12 was no longer worth what it once was. Im sure whoever owns it has it garaged and well taken care of.

Is anyone else surprised that it was not a sport, or even a V8. You think they would have made the last one the best. I would have rather have seen a red sport with the wheels cromed.
The last Astro/Safari was just a cargo version. They didn't even bother making a real sign proclaiming it as the last one. Some one just ripped a piece off a card board box an spray painted on it "Last of the Line".

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I'd suggest calling Ford, but I tried calling them once for a news story I was writing, and it's just impossible to find out something like that. I played phone tag for an entire day just to find out how many automobiles they produced in/for Europe in 2004 (even had to call Ford of Scotland). Maybe a Cougar forum? Possibly, it could be semi-common knowledge over there.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
As far as the whole front wheel drive thunderbird thing goes....I've heard a couple stories...

I read in a car mag back in like I think mid 96 (the car magazine's cover or at least major story was on the demise of the caprice, buick roadmaster, big RWD caddy I think) they said that "in 1999 the Ford Thunderbird, Mercury Cougar, and Crown Vic/Grand Marquis will be converted to Front Wheel Drive using modified taurus parts"

Lucky this never happened.

I have also heard that for a while the plan was to drop the name Thunderbird from the MN12's and rebadge them as the "Taurus Sport" No news on weather it's be FWD or RWD...ever notice how the MN12 looks kinda like an older taurus?

There was also another car mag, I posted a link to it here at some point a long time ago I guess, where it showed a sketch of a green car, looked similarly nasty to the 99 cougar and they called it "thunderbird"

makes sense....but then ford probably realized that they would rather let mercury have the Probe alltogether than bring it back for another season and call it T-bird

That's all I've heard......

·
Registered
653 Posts
Earl said:
ever notice how the MN12 looks kinda like an older taurus?

If you really look closely at the Thunderbird, Mustang, Taurus, and Crown Victoria from about 1996, they all look fairly similar to each other.

·
8,239 Posts
especially the crown vic, look at the nose on it, looks like an early mn12 headlight setup.

When i was 16, i bought this piece of crap blue 90 base 3.8 tbird. I brought it home, and it had steel wheels with no hubcaps, my dad thought that I had bought an old police cruiser from a distance.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts