TCCoA Forums banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
NiteFire said:
now why is everything nowadays front wheel drive? All I see are FWD or AWD. RWD is my personal Fav, so why are almost all cars becoming front now?

They supposedly handle better (although if they lose traction, they're much harder to get back under control and a RWD), and RWDs "cost too much". I know I was reading in an issue of Automobile that GM ditched a project to get the Monte Carlo onto a RWD platform because it was "too expensive". :rolleyes:

·
8,239 Posts
Rally said:
They supposedly handle better (although if they lose traction, they're much harder to get back under control and a RWD), and RWDs "cost too much". I know I was reading in an issue of Automobile that GM ditched a project to get the Monte Carlo onto a RWD platform because it was "too expensive". :rolleyes:
the new monte carlo is a huge piece of ****. My mom has a 05 ss, and its garbage, non supercharged.

Lets see, both the brake calipers in the rear hung up and were smoking hot, the one destroyed the finish on the one wheel.

The interior rattles, and the interior looks like something out of a 90 buick.

What a piece of garbage that thing is.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Rwd's are more expensive to build, heavier, etc... they do have an advantage in all out dry weather performance. Hammer the throttle around a turn and the back will help the front steer.

Fwd's are more compact, more modular and thus easier to assemble... offer a fuel economy bonus... and the engine weight is over the drive wheels so they do generally have better traction in snow. Hammer the throttle in a turn and you might end up sliding into on coming traffic!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I know where one of the last 1997 Tbirds is located. The way the owner put it, there could be 2 “final” MN12 Tbirds; the one with the biggest vin number and the one that actually rolled off the assembly line last.

Sometimes when there is a “millionth Mustang” or whatever, the vin number doesn't actually correlate with the actual order it was made. They will pull aside a car days in advance; sign their names, then put it back on the assembly line so it was “technically” the millionth car or “the last car” or whatever. But this also means that the car with a vin 1 digit lower isnt actually the 999,999th car or the next-to-last car, etc. The reason I bring this up is that the 1997 Tbird I found in a museum has the highest vin number of all the 1997 Tbirds; no 1997 Tbird vin comes after it (according to the owner). So it could be the last one, unless there is another one out there that technically rolled off the assembly line after it; but it’s vin number would not be higher in sequence.

I’ll try to confirm that fact when I find the SD card I used to take photos of it. I didn’t know how special it was until after I left the museum.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
The important thing is, what's up with the weird text? " “final” "

Al

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sadly, I took a video instead of photos, so I did not get the vin of the car. But I know several of its options:

The car is a red LX and the front badge does not have green feet. It has Goodyear Eagle GT+4 P225/60R16 tires. Grey cloth interior, rear spoiler with built-in brake-light, no V8 badge (so probably a 3.8).

Next time I go back to that museum I will compare the vin to the one that was posted earlier in this forum.

Note: whenever I type quotes or an apostrophe, they turn into weird characters after I submit my post when using my phone.

·
Super Moderator
9,148 Posts
This Thunderbird?

Snapped the pic (of the pic) when I went up to the plant a number of years ago, after it had been shut down, sold, partially demolished, and converted into a warehousing and distribution center. It was pinned up to a bulletin board in the guard house...

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
That one looks like it is a brighter red than the one I saw. No guarantees the one I saw was the LAST one; just that (according to the owner) it was the last VIN number. I think someone said the last MN12 off the assembly line had 15 inch wheels, but the one at the museum I went to has 16 inch wheels. Even if it is not actually THE LAST MN12, it is still pretty cool that one of the last ones ever made has been perfectly preserved.

I wished my video of the car was not so shaky and caught the vin number. At the time, I was more drawn towards the mint 1989 SuperCoupe and the 35th anniversary SuperCoupe with 25 miles on it at the same museum. I think there is a MN12 Cougar somewhere and a Lincoln MKVII at that place; so I was already planning on going back at some point in the future.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
when I went up to the plant a number of years ago, after it had been shut down, sold, partially demolished, and converted into a warehousing and distribution center.
And they got their phones through us. I had to call them once to let them know that a password of "1234" on their voicemail let someone hack their PBX and route calls to Mauritania.

·
Registered
59 Posts
That one looks like it is a brighter red than the one I saw. No guarantees the one I saw was the LAST one; just that (according to the owner) it was the last VIN number. I think someone said the last MN12 off the assembly line had 15 inch wheels, but the one at the museum I went to has 16 inch wheels. Even if it is not actually THE LAST MN12, it is still pretty cool that one of the last ones ever made has been perfectly preserved.

I wished my video of the car was not so shaky and caught the vin number. At the time, I was more drawn towards the mint 1989 SuperCoupe and the 35th anniversary SuperCoupe with 25 miles on it at the same museum. I think there is a MN12 Cougar somewhere and a Lincoln MKVII at that place; so I was already planning on going back at some point in the future.
What museum is this?

A̶l̶s̶o̶,̶ ̶d̶o̶e̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶b̶o̶d̶y̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶p̶i̶c̶t̶u̶r̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶T̶h̶u̶n̶d̶e̶r̶b̶i̶r̶d̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶b̶a̶c̶k̶?̶ ̶I̶ ̶a̶c̶t̶u̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶s̶a̶w̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶w̶e̶e̶k̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶F̶a̶c̶e̶b̶o̶o̶k̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶d̶i̶d̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶k̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶s̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶t̶i̶m̶e̶.̶ ̶T̶h̶e̶ ̶"̶T̶h̶a̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶A̶l̶l̶ ̶F̶o̶l̶k̶s̶"̶ ̶b̶a̶n̶n̶e̶r̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶t̶a̶p̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶r̶e̶a̶r̶ ̶b̶u̶m̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶e̶n̶d̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶a̶s̶s̶e̶m̶b̶l̶y̶ ̶l̶i̶n̶e̶.̶ ̶S̶o̶m̶e̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶s̶h̶a̶r̶e̶d̶ ̶a̶ ̶p̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶F̶a̶c̶e̶b̶o̶o̶k̶,̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶e̶i̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶d̶e̶l̶e̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶g̶r̶o̶u̶p̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶o̶r̶i̶g̶i̶n̶a̶l̶ ̶p̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶d̶e̶l̶e̶t̶e̶d̶.̶

Edit: Found what I was looking for:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,148 Posts
Hahahahaha! I love how they used my old sample, digital rendering of the Lorain Assembly sticker reproduction for their post. I still have a few of those around here somewhere...

Attached the old draft - and the final version I eventually printed.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,302 Posts
I've put those on a ton of cars around here, lol.

More than one vette, lol.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts