TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my stock radiator had a few holes in it and I was losing half my coolant in a day, and I bought a new radiator... Reading through the 03 cobra radiator thread in the 4.6 forum, I decided to jump in and be a guinea pig wth my 3.8. I got everything installed this weekend, less the new fan until I get paid again. Dan Newman was great and got me all the parts I requested, shipped to my door in less than a day. Big thanks to FedEx for making me go pickup my parts on a saturday, not to mention ALMOST losing the actual radiator, but at least I got it all put together. I'll take some pics later this week and hopefully write up a tech article/how-to for all the other guys with heating issues. I'll try to include pics, steps, advice, part numbers and approx prices.

And I think I've earned a few of these...
:cool::D:headbang::wiggle:

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
congrats.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Let's see some pics of clearance and the install. I'll bet you had a TON of room to accomplish this w/ the 3.8. I bet you still had fun w/ that lower hose though :D

Jay

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Right now I'm just using the stock fan and shroud, I'll buy the cobra shroud when I've got the $ to. The stock fan is slightly smaller than the cobra radiator, but it still gets good coverege and sits into place. A few choice zip ties are holding it in place, it's light weight and shouldn't go anywhere for the time being.... Ghetto I know, but hey if it works, it works
FordMan77 said:
Let's see some pics of clearance and the install. I'll bet you had a TON of room to accomplish this w/ the 3.8. I bet you still had fun w/ that lower hose though :D

Jay
I'll try to get pics up by this weekend. The room was nice, but I still had to pull the battery tray outta the way. The only place clearance was an issue was the overflow hose near the PS pump, but there's still room enough for it. The lower hose actually wasn't too bad. Nothing from Ford OEM would have worked... everything was the wrong shape, not long enough, wasn't flared on the right end, etc etc. I ended up taking two 3.8 lowers and a 97 V8 (pressurized overflow tank, same with the 03 cobra) lower and making my own hose. I put the two flared ends of the 3.8 lowers onto the engine and radiator, then cut the overflow portion off the 97 V8 and attached it to the overflow. After a few cuts I had everything trimmed just right so it'd all meet up in about the same location and used a Copper T and hose clamps to fasten everything down nice and snug. So far everything is tight and no leaks, I'm gonna keep a close eye on things this week to make sure all stays well

1 - 6 of 6 Posts