1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's about dang time!!! :znanner: :thumbsup:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050719/ap_on_re_us/pilots_disability_payments

Thieving Bastard said:
"Oh, I'm so disabled, I can't work... please give me Social Security disability..." :bawling:
Thieving Bastard said:
"I feel great!! There's no medical reason why I can't have a current physical and qualify for a pilot's license..." :thumbsup:
Hopefully they will have to pay back every dime they have received. :redmad: :zbash: :thumbsup:

·
Johnny Five is Alive, TCCoAAC Member
1,614 Posts
You are allowed to work if you receive SSD.

The Social Security Administration will allow both claimants for benefits, as well as recipients of social security or ssi benefits, to work and receive their benefits as long as their monthly earned income does not exceed the s.g.a. limit.

Sga stands for substantial gainful activity and it is SSA's determination that those who are unable to earn at least the sga amount each month, pretax, may be considered eligible to receive benefits, provided their medical evidence supports an approval of benefits.

The sga amount for 2005 is $830.00 per month. Claimants must bear in mind, though, that this earnings threshold is based on gross income, not net.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IMHO, if you are physically fit to have a pilot's license (which if I am correct requires a stringent physical) especially a commercial license.... you're physically fit to NOT get a check from Social Security… for DISABILITY. :thumbsup:

But hey, it’s only my tax money!! :redmad:

I guess if I were give an extra $850 a month I could get a pilots license also… oops, but when would I have time to fly…. BECAUSE I’M WORKING!!! :ztoohot:

I have no problem with SSI helping those that can not work. But to maintain a pilots license requires that you be physically fit. IMHO, you can't have both!!! :redmad:

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Just let's not forget there are government managers overseeing those crosslinked databases. Scares me more than flying with a pilot that's disabled in some way.

94 Daily Driven 4.6L said:
But hey, it’s only my tax money!! :redmad:
If we're going to try and stop wasting tax dollars lets start in Congress... save way more bucks eliminating the seperate pay and benefit structure they've voted themselves and put them on the GS schedule and FERS like the rest of the government's employees.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Well i know first hand that Louisiana needs an enema.
Mr. R. S. Gordon

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
doodaa said:
Just let's not forget there are government managers overseeing those crosslinked databases. Scares me more than flying with a pilot that's disabled in some way.
I don't know about that... I would rather have a hosed database than a plane drop on my head. ;) :tongue:

doodaa said:
If we're going to try and stop wasting tax dollars lets start in Congress... save way more bucks eliminating the seperate pay and benefit structure they've voted themselves and put them on the GS schedule and FERS like the rest of the government's employees.
DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED ON THAT ISSUE!!! :redmad: :zbash: :redmad:

·
Johnny Five is Alive, TCCoAAC Member
1,614 Posts
94 Daily Driven 4.6L said:
IMHO, if you are physically fit to have a pilot's license (which if I am correct requires a stringent physical) especially a commercial license.... you're physically fit to NOT get a check from Social Security… for DISABILITY.
the aritcle didn't state if they were still "flying"

So a Ex-US-Air Pilot (Had commercial license) then retires, and starts collecting ssd for his bum rists or something, but then still flys his "private" airplane, and since he already had a Commercial license, he just renewed it every year, instaed of having to take a whole new test and such for a lower class license ?

Florida doesn't give eye exams if you renew your license online, however, if you go into a dmv office, they do an eye exam. Which I am sure if your not an "Active" Commerical pilot, there is probably some little form you sign to renew your FAA Commerical license.. (most of the time the strigent physicals are required by the employer)

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WkStill said:
the aritcle didn't state if they were still "flying"

So a Ex-US-Air Pilot (Had commercial license) then retires, and starts collecting ssd for his bum rists or something, but then still flys his "private" airplane, and since he already had a Commercial license, he just renewed it every year, instaed of having to take a whole new test and such for a lower class license ?

Florida doesn't give eye exams if you renew your license online, however, if you go into a dmv office, they do an eye exam. Which I am sure if your not an "Active" Commercial pilot, there is probably some little form you sign to renew your FAA Commercial license.. (most of the time the stringent physicals are required by the employer)
Did you read what some of the "disabilities" were for? :beek:

article said:
However, they may have been flying with debilitating illnesses that should have kept them grounded, ranging from schizophrenia and bipolar disorder to drug and alcohol addiction and heart conditions
I thought that you had to get a physical each year to keep your pilot’s license (someone correct me if I’m wrong). So how can on one hand they say they are physically fit to fly, but on the other hand say they are “disabled” and that they should qualify for SSI?!?!? :beek:

And I think the FAA requirements are a lot more stringent that just a drivers license. It has been years since my dad flew, but I know after he had his heart bypass (which actually improved his health) he could not qualify for even a private license (which was all he ever had). But again, that was many, many years ago, so the regulations may have changed. :D

Bottom line is that this is just one more case of people milking the US Gov’t for money and benefits, when in reality they don’t deserve it!!! :redmad:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts