TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
The Parts Guy
7,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, after pulling my hair out for a month trying to figure out why the car won't start, I finally solved the problem yesterday. See this thread for the symptoms. As it turns out, I missed one ground, which was causing all sorts of problems. I finally managed to track it down yesterday, and voila, the car fires right up. And it is LOUD (no exhaust after the Kooks headers, at the moment)!

By the way, that is a 4.6L DOHC in a 90 XR7. Now I just need to finish up the interior (it's from a 97 LX), install some exhaust, and have it dynotuned. Then it's time to hit the pavement.

-Rod

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Congratulations! Now go on vacation, sounds like you probably need it after that level of frustration ;) After that let us know where that ground is in case it affects those of us who already have the DOHC and not just the swappers. :)

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Nice! Good to see things coming together.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Congrats on your troubleshooting and diligence.:thumbsup:

Out of curiousity which ground? Got a wire number, connector or location, just
for future referance.

Chris...............

·
Jedi Master
3,647 Posts
i'm really f**king jealous....:mad:

that is one awsome project, inspires me to do my own...
you're gonna need a vid when that cat is ready for the prawl

·
Registered
476 Posts
Nice can't wait to get my swap done now. Which ground wire is it because im up to that point in the swap and i don't want any electrical gremlins. Thanks.

Will

·
8,239 Posts
mn12xr7 said:
i'm really f**king jealous....:mad:

that is one awsome project, inspires me to do my own...
you're gonna need a vid when that cat is ready for the prawl
no need to be jealous. Just put one in your ride if thats what you want to do. I can really appriciate work like this, because a custom swap like this takes a ton of effort. Hope it runs good for you Rod, and makes decent power.

·
The Parts Guy
7,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the compliments guys. It really kills me to only see this car on the weekends (which is the main reason why it's taking so long to finish it). I'm in my fourth year at University of Missouri - Rolla, so I only make it back to my shop every other weekend or so.

All I have to say is that with those big Kooks headers, and no exhaust, it rattles the shop walls a bit. :D

The ground that I missed was circuit 570, IIRC. The actual plug was the one that plugs in right next to the negative cable of the battery. Since the battery is in the trunk, I completely missed this plug.

By the way, here are a couple more pics:

The battery mount is made from aluminum angle. All battery cable on this car is 2/0.

There's the kill switch, to keep it legal at the track. The picture shows how I have it set up for the street. When I take the car to the track, I just swap out the passenger side tailight, install the lever and rod that we fabbed up, and presto, it's track legal. The rod slides through a small hole in my extra taillight.

Believe me, I'll let everyone know when I finally get this car out on the road.

-Rod

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hey how are those Kooks headers i am probably going to be buying them because the stockers are just plain beat. Did you install them with the engine in or out. I already have my engine in so its at the very least going to be time consuming.

Will

·
The Parts Guy
7,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Will,

I'm very happy with the Kooks headers. I chose the 1.75" primary with 3" collector version. The fit is very tight, but there aren't any clearance issues or modifications necessary to make them fit. I installed them on the engine just before I slid it into the car.

-Rod

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hey Rod
Did you drop those off at my house? Your floor is exactly the same style and color as mine. Thanks for the info about the headers. Now another question for you, did you use a mark viii radiator or the cougar one. My dad seems to think that theres a different radiator in the mark but i am putting dollars to donuts the mark tbird and cougar v8 radiators are the same. Thanks again for the help and the paint on the cougar looks awesome.

Will

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Congrats on making it run! It feels great doesn't it?

Do the Kooks come equipped to retain the EGR or did you add that to them? O2 bungs installed and all...much nicer than some other set of headers I had in my possession :rolleyes: Which I had forgotten about when I was complining about that set. Right up until the day before that other set of headers got shipped they were supposed to come equipped to slap in O2's, at which point the O2 bungs were just something being sent along with the headers and I had to put them somewhere myself. But enough about that, back to the good headers and congrats again on making the beast live!

·
The Parts Guy
7,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Will,

I used a brand new Tbird/Cougar 4.6L radiator. I'm pretty sure that there is no difference between the MN12 and FN10 radiators.

Brad,

You can get the headers with or without the EGR bung. Mine have it, although I capped it off, made an EGR delete plate out of some billet aluminum, and had Brian program the EEC to run without the EGR.

And yes, it's great that the car is running finally. I can't wait to get back to the shop so I can get back to work on it.

-Rod

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Nice job Rod... Now, lets see some #'s :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,314 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Hey Bud, what did you use for caps on the EGR bungs?

I was contemplating welding som bolts in the holes :)

But in case I sell these headers one day, maybe I'll buy some caps instead, heh.

Thanks for any insight on specs, or good sources.

I tried to tell Bill to build them without Bungs, he said it would be two weeks before they would get my headers sent out, by the time he replies back a day or two later the headers were already done, with bungs :(

No biggy though.

Don

1 - 20 of 38 Posts