TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But I hope its not too late. Here a couple weeks ago tranny started shuddering real bad, so I dropped the pan, drained the TC, put in a new filter and refilled with 12qts of Mercon V. That took care of all the problems I was having. So I figured I had nothing to lose by getting a trans cooler for the Bird. Got the B&M one (14,400BTU)and wow.......it seems to like it!! Car has 173,000 how much more does anyone think I'll get out of the trans before it needs to be replaced?? Also would like to confirm that the return line is the top one on the radiator. Seems I read that on a thread before....but I just need a little reassurance since Im second guessing myself.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,575 Posts
Yes, the top line is the return line. How much longer your trans will last is impossible to predict. A J-mod will help however.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks...

For confirming that for me. I've read alot on the J-mod here. I'd like to do it but since the GF drives it most of the time I dont want to have it down for more than a day. I've watched the vid Dirty Dog put up on You Tube, looks pretty easy, but he's doing with trans out and upside down.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,575 Posts
First time I did it, it took me about 6 hours. Now I can do it in about 2.5-3 hours.

The part that will take the longest is getting the fluid drained and the valve body/pan down.

The part that is the hardest is getting the 1-2 accumulator snap ring out.

As long as you have read through the procedure several times and know what to expect and you have all the proper tools, it shouldn't be too hard.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts