TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well after a few months of tinkering and stuff i finaly got my bird on the road , i bought it for 300 bucks , it needed tires and a windshield. well i picked it up from the inspection place this morning and went for a ride. it went pretty good except for some sputtering @ around 30 mph , and the tempature guage didnt rise much , about 1/4 of the way up, is this normal ? what could be casuign the sputtering ? im guess if i replace the plugs and wires it should fix the problem. but the car was going pretty good and @ 60mph it was still driving really good. i love my tbird, any help on the sputtering would be great. thanks

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
While the Lucas is good stuff, how old is the gas in the car?

Also, on your temp gauge, what letter was the needle nearest (N, O, R, M)?

Just to be safe, have your radiator pressure checked.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I would definatly do a tune up if hasn't had one in a while.

·
Administrator
8,249 Posts
soopa villain17 said:
and the tempature guage didnt rise much , about 1/4 of the way up, is this normal ?
Might be time for a thermostat and coolant flush. How's the heat?

Change the fuel filter too when you do the tune up.

Joe

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
yea i planned on having a tune up done when i get more cash , i had to spend 291 this morning for a set of tires and inspection. i planned on replacing the dist cap , plugs , wires , all that stuff. i was also thinking a wire may be wet or something, becuase its been raining all day except for this morning and it was running smooth this morning. could it be the maf ( i have no idea what that is , but lots of you guys say you have problems with it ) , i think it just needs a good tune up imo , it doesnt over heat or anything, the temp gauge stays pretty low , below the letters

·
Administrator
8,249 Posts
soopa villain17 said:
could it be the maf ( i have no idea what that is , but lots of you guys say you have problems with it )
You have an 89, no MAF for you to worry about! :tongue:

Joe

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
MAF = Mass Air Flow sensor. On Super Coupes and other models, it is a sensor positioned just after the air box but before the air tube that takes air to the throttle body.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just got back from a 15 mile ride, the temp gauge stayed well below the p. i have a coolant leak, so im loosing alot of coolant , i just cant pinpoint the leak wich is really p-ing me off. but the car sputtered pretty much the whole time , it starts at around 20 and doesnt stop untill 60. it doesnt do it the whole time though , one minute ill be accelerating fine , then the next it will sputter. its really making me mad because now im broke and have to money to fix anything till next month :mad:

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
try running some seafoam through the car, replace the gas and fuel filter. then get the car warm and check the radiator (my old radiator leaked only after it warmed up the crack was so small)

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
its most likely a ignition problem...get that tune up done then ull see...my coil got wet on my 93 and it sputtered like crazy...

also try the air filter and fuel filter.

as far as the coolant leak...look for the leak after you have driven the car, try to see if its by the water pump, or the bottom of the radiator or hoses...and let me tell ya, it better be a leak cause you dont want it to be a head gasket....is the car leaving coolant on the ground?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
smokymance said:
its most likely a ignition problem...get that tune up done then ull see...my coil got wet on my 93 and it sputtered like crazy...

also try the air filter and fuel filter.

as far as the coolant leak...look for the leak after you have driven the car, try to see if its by the water pump, or the bottom of the radiator or hoses...and let me tell ya, it better be a leak cause you dont want it to be a head gasket....is the car leaving coolant on the ground?

its leaking around the water pump area , after i shut it off and leave and come back , there is always a little puddle of coolant on the motor in a little indent. yes it leaves some on the ground. today i drove 91 miles . the only problem i had was the sputtering , the car goes pretty good at 80mph :tongue: , i did pick up some seafoam i put about 1/3 of it in my tank , it seemed to help a little , i also picked up 6 new autlite copper plugs and a fram fuel filter, next im going to get plug wires and whatever else i need , but when i braked my car pulled to the right and i heard a scratching/grinding noise . but idk time will tell whats wrong

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
its an older car so the wires would be a good idea to replace. if the sea foam helped, then that means that the car basicly needs a tune up. good thing its leaking by the pump as that means its not a head gasket. it could be the water pump it self(which is pretty simple to replace) or it could be the lower rad hose which is also common to go bad. as far as the brakes, they probably need to be replaced also. no biggy, just some patience and some $$.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
i would put the seafoam through a vacuum line. it works wonders, i always use the brake booster line, but you can use the pcv line as well. if you don't know how to do it from a vacuum line search posts with seafoam. it's been extensively talked about. the fuel filter is easy. under the passenger side of the car you will see a little canister in the fuel lines. simple ubolt the canister shield, unscrew the ring and there are little clips that you pop off, then the fuel filter comes right off. HOWEVER, MAKE SURE TO TURN OFF YOUR FUEL PUMP BY EITHER THE BATTERY, OR THE FUEL PUMP CUT OFF SWITCH IN YOUR TRUNK. after you do that, run the car until it dies. that way when you take the filter off you don't get gas all over yourself.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well i put the fuel filter in. i didnt shut anything off so a lil gas got on me. im pretty sure the fuel filter on was original it was almost rusted through and was gross looking. when i fired my car up it was easier to start and i noticed less vibrations. 2morro im replacing plugs and wires. but ive never changed plug wires before, is it hard ? and i haven o idea what a vaccum line is:confused:

1 - 20 of 59 Posts