TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Only you can prevent modular fires
1,446 Posts
Hid Conversion

This may sound dumb but I have the 96-97 headlights and you know that chrome peice that surrounds the bulb? Well I used some better bulbs once and it started to discolor that part of the headlight. Do you think this kit would totaly melt that peice or is this low heat? Just wondering please be kind :)

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I have heard from a lot of people that if you dont' watch those bulbs, you'll be buying new assemblies... Just a thought...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well

These are true HID, you can see from the pics on ebay.

They only use 35W. so they generate a hell of a lot less heat than the standard 65W 9007, so there should be no problems.

P{lus they are retrofitting the D2S bulbs to the 9007 housing, so there will be no contact that shouldnt cause any problems there either.

Joab:D

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
So if you have an 89-93, you have to buy two kits? How bogus is that?

John

·
Registered
604 Posts
I wouldn't buy that kit. The bulb looks poorly constructed and thats a really small ballast for an 8000k color temperature HID system. Buyers beware, it may work well in the beginning, but don't expect those cheap systems to last for that long. I did quite a bit of research before I got my system.

·
Registered
247 Posts
If you're just changing the bulb you're not getting the full effect. The lense is focused differently too.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok ok...

Osram is german made, and its the parent company of sylvania, which makes OEM lincoln mark viii HID systems...

What is your system, please tell me more.

Thanks

Joab

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
HIDs Suck. they might look good, but they have been known to cause blindness for oncoming drivers, and give the drivers migranes. why? people evolved to make use of sunlight. the fact is that you want a bulb temp equal to the sun.

Cooler because it has less wattage? not nessessarily true. it depends on the specific heat of the material used too.

·
Registered
604 Posts
They only blind drivers if you don't have your lights aligned correctly. They only use 35watts since there'e a ballast to convert the voltage, and they run cooler meaning that they dissipate the same amount of heat as a conventional bulb but with 3 times the light output.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Alex said:
They only blind drivers if you don't have your lights aligned correctly. They only use 35watts since there'e a ballast to convert the voltage, and they run cooler meaning that they dissipate the same amount of heat as a conventional bulb but with 3 times the light output.
Again wattage don't mean jack sh*t. It all depends on how much heat the bulb and housing can dissipate. Also, three times the light output doesn't help if it's the wrong kind.Ultra violet light can't be seen by the human eye. I could put out 1000 times the light of an HID bulb, and it would still be pitch black to you.

HID temperature needs to be close to 5300 deg (sunlight), or it can distort colors and reduce contrast.
Have you read the recent reports on HIDs? WITH correct aiming, it can cause migranes, temperary blindness (ever turn on a light in the middle of the night and burn the image of the light into your eye? Thats what can happen on the road. More light doesn't mean safer.

I will admit that there are good kits out there, but it's NOT the one in that auction.

·
Registered
604 Posts
GreenBird said:

I will admit that there are good kits out there, but it's NOT the one in that auction.
I agree, hence my earlier post lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts