TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 4x4 Ranger for $600 a while back and have been driving it since November when I took the insurance off the Bird. We have had some real nice days, the kind that make me wonder why I ever bought the truck. Well, it finally snowed, definitely worth the $600 + $300 in miscellaneous repairs and upkeep. It gets around well and it was a whole lot of fun last night. If you've got some extra money laying around, give the Bird a break, check the local classifieds and find yourself a cheap 4x4 if you live in a cold place that gets snow. You won't be sorry.

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,670 Posts
I used to love snow. When it got me out of school. But now that I'm in College and working full-time, it doesn't do crap for me. In fact, I had to drive him it last night from Elkhorn to Blair. It's about 22 miles from the campus in Elkorn to the city limit sign of Blair. Was leaving the parking lot at 8:15 and got into Blair at 9:00. Which isn't bad considering I couldn't see much more than 2 feet in front of me and was running 35-40 the whole way.

Wasn't that bad except the three times when my back end got loose and scared the holy living hell out of me. Luckily I had my mom's Explorer last night for the 4WD. Today, I took my Bronco to work which was nice to have the 4WD again but have to take my 'Bird to class tonight. Most of the streets are OK if your willing to take your time. In April or so, I'm going to look around for an 01 Ranger to make my daily driver so I can start to play with my 'Bird and not have it back together in one night because I need it the next day.

Only real downside to the snow (besides last night) is that the long-awaited SC is coming home this weekend after it's paint job. Saturday or Sunday, I'm going down to bring it home I believe unless the streets in Omaha suck - then will wait til Monday or Tuesday.

How much snow did you get in Lincoln? Only had about 3.5-4 inches in Blair area.

-Andy "Melon"

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
ive noticed that i enjoy winter alot more now that im not driving the bird in it. i used to really despise winter, to the point that i would have killed it if it was something that lived. but now i drive a suzuki that absolutely destroys the snow

·
Registered
668 Posts
hate snow

HATE the snow can not stand it. :boom:

I live in Alaska, Fairbanks to be exact and we have snow from about mid october til about Mid May. So right about now I am sick of snow. The bird goes no where in it. Can't work on it cause I have no garage and it is to dog on cold outside to work on it. Very frustrating. :redmad: :bangwall:

·
Registered
658 Posts
Re: hate snow

tre45 said:

Can't work on it cause I have no garage and it is to dog on cold outside to work on it. Very frustrating. :redmad: :bangwall:
Word. These are my sediments exactly. I love the snow. I ski in the pocono mountains often. Driving in it isn't bad in the bird. I had a mustang before.....now, there is a car that handled terribly in the snow. I just wish I had a garage that I could work on my car in.

danman

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am not real sure exactly how much we got, never heard. When I was out playing in it with the renager it had the tire covered up to the wheel, it was still snowing, that as about 1:30 AM. Tires are a pretty gnarly cheap offroad tire, 215/70R15.

·
Ohio TCCoA
863 Posts
Re: Tonight's snow

ShadowDragon said:
{IMG]http://members.tccoa.com/shadowdragon/snow01.jpg[/IMG]
{IMG]http://members.tccoa.com/shadowdragon/snow02.jpg[/IMG]
ummmm.. thats not snow! In order for it to be considered real snow it must be at least 3.5 inches deep.

lol had to raz yeah a little about that one.. I myself love snow!! Had 4-6 inches fall late Christmas eve to early Christmas morn. Best Christmas present. Course had to go get my girl's car outta alley by her house. When she gets stuck she gets stuck. I only have the bird right now and took it. The limited slip rear really help "pull" the car thru the deep virgin snow. Good investment.

later,
jay

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Re: Re: Tonight's snow

Spidey2721 said:
ummmm.. thats not snow! In order for it to be considered real snow it must be at least 3.5 inches deep.
I'm originally from the midwest so I agree. People panicked yesterday and bought all the shovels and salt they could find, it was hillarious.

I'll have some day-time pictures to post when I get home.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Tonight's snow

ShadowDragon said:

People panicked yesterday and bought all the shovels and salt they could find, it was hillarious.
reminds me of summer in VT....we get a heat wave (90+deg, 80+% humidity) and people are out paying big bucks for Air Conditioners and fans.

To considered snow it must fall from the sky, not condensate then freeze (that looks like frost)

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
It did fall as snow, for about 2 hours. When I was out in it it wasn't coming down enough to keep the wipers on (even at the lowest setting) but was enough to reduce visibility after a minute or two. http://www.wral.com/news/1912424/detail.html

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
HanMan said:
LOL nice drive gloves shadow.... Jp HAHA
Heh, those are my glove gloves. I hate bulky finger tips and it was 36 when I left the house.. brrr

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
HanMan said:
U drunk too? U sure sound like it.... talking about ur glove gloves. ..... HAHA
Heh, nah I mean, not just driving gloves, gloves I wear outside when it gets near or below freezing. Aside from them the only other pair of gloves I own is shop gloves.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts