TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it seems I can no longer get into 3rd gear. The car thinks it shifts but it doesn't. And now I still have to get home with 2 gears on major roads the whole way home! Looks like I'll be driving an 79 Mustang for a while now.

:D Sorry Wrong Forum :D

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I had a little plastic piece break out of one of the cables that goes up to my throttle body so the cable wasn't connected... When that happened the car would not shift into third. I'm an idiot when it comes to cars so that probably isn't the case with you but you might want to check anyway. ;)

~Chuck

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Mine did the same thing. It would "shift" right when it was supposed to, but then it would just rev up and do nothing, like you said, as if it were in neutral. You should check that little plastic piece. It is a little round piece that holds one of the cables into the TB.

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
CaliHwyPatrol said:
Mine did the same thing. It would "shift" right when it was supposed to, but then it would just rev up and do nothing, like you said, as if it were in neutral. You should check that little plastic piece. It is a little round piece that holds one of the cables into the TB.
that's the throttle valve cable, it is only on aod equippped mn12's 89-93, or on any vehicle equipped with an aod for that matter, lol, but his is a 94 so it is a 4r70w which does not use the tv cable, but is computer controlled, anyways, just wanted to clarify.....;)

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
teenageriot13 said:
Well it seems I can no longer get into 3rd gear. The car thinks it shifts but it doesn't. And now I still have to get home with 2 gears on major roads the whole way home! Looks like I'll be driving an 79 Mustang for a while now.

:D Sorry Wrong Forum :D
when mine started the same thing i just ordered a 01 tranny from greanleafauto

I sold/gave my tranny to a guy i worked with at ford but he hasnt torn it down yet. Im curious as to what went wrong.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
chorizon said:
that's the throttle valve cable, it is only on aod equippped mn12's 89-93, or on any vehicle equipped with an aod for that matter, lol, but his is a 94 so it is a 4r70w which does not use the tv cable, but is computer controlled, anyways, just wanted to clarify.....;)

Good! Thanks... Like I said I am a NoOb :D

So that sucks for him because that couldn't possibly be what is wrong with it... It was 3 bucks for me to fix. Good luck with that!

~Chuck

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
You need a new tranny. Sart looking. Dont get it rebuilt, buy a used 99+ tranny from a v6 mustang. It's not even worth rebuilding an old one. It sounds like your clutch packs have worn out. Pull out the dipstick, does it look dark brown and smell like butt?
-Thomas

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Thomas said:
You need a new tranny. Sart looking. Dont get it rebuilt, buy a used 99+ tranny from a v6 mustang. It's not even worth rebuilding an old one. It sounds like your clutch packs have worn out. Pull out the dipstick, does it look dark brown and smell like butt?
-Thomas
You do mean a 99+ Gt tranny right. He does have 4.6 so bolt patterns are different.
but do not rebuild i do agree,
with the transmission you have a tq convertor. so may invest in flywheel if place does send the convertor.

·
8,978 Posts
oh silly me. I figured it was a v6 since its in the v6 forum. Yes a GT tranny.

when I got my 98 mark viii tranny from greenleafauto.com they also sent me the torque converter, which was a very nice surprise. So ask them if they'll send you one as well, because it's not only a good upgrade, but with your clutch packs burnt out, it will send little itty bitty shards all throughout the transmission, so the torque converter isnt reusable anyway. You will need a mark viii flexplate to use a mark viii, or 99+ GT torque converter. And if you keep your radiator, I'd put an in-line filter in there so you dont hurt your new used transmission as well.

-Thomas

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts

·
8,978 Posts
Do NOT rebuild that transmission. Granted it will work, for a while, but there are parts that need replacing that they just arent going to replace. If they dont want to put in a used transmission, then do it yourself. It may seem like a big project, but consider this. A year ago when I bought my 95 with a bad transmission for very cheap, I had never touched a transmission, I had never looked inside a transmission, and I had only a very vague idea of how they even worked. After a little reading on the subject, I decided to take on the project. I bought a used transmissiona nd torque converter for 800 dollars shipped. (cheap!) and it took only 2 days to take the old one out and throw the new one in. This was with the help of one friend of mine who also had only vague knowledge of transmission. But basic knowledge is all you need. All it consists of it removing bolts and nuts to get it out, then putting all the bolts and nuts back on to hold the new transmission on.

We're just looking out for you and want the best for your car. Thats what we're here for. So please take our advice into consideration. Hell you're 21, I was 20 when I threw the new tranny onto my 95. Take the challenge, you'll find it's not all that challenging.

-Thomas

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Thomas said:
Do NOT rebuild that transmission. Granted it will work, for a while, but there are parts that need replacing that they just arent going to replace. If they dont want to put in a used transmission, then do it yourself. This was with the help of one friend of mine who also had only vague knowledge of transmission. But basic knowledge is all you need. All it consists of it removing bolts and nuts to get it out, then putting all the bolts and nuts back on to hold the new transmission on.

We're just looking out for you and want the best for your car. Thats what we're here for. So please take our advice into consideration. Hell you're 21, I was 20 when I threw the new tranny onto my 95. Take the challenge, you'll find it's not all that challenging.

-Thomas
Agreed, Tell them to F#%$ off. There are things they will not rebuild with. In 99+ Gt tranny, first it will be cheaper than rebuild. Upgraded tq convertor, upgraded vb, upgraded EPC solenoid, deep sump pan, better clutch packs, better tranny housing, mechanical 1way diode, I think better output shaft, and should have upgraded shift pistons.

And as Thomas has stated, its not brain surgery. With someone's help that has mechanical background yall can definitely handle it. If you cant maybe try a better shop than Ammco ... maybe your neighborhood shade-tree. JK.

Just remember to use your TCC solenoid and do simple rewiring of harness that goes into tranny.

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
i'm pretty sure that he gave up on it already, he has a farewell post, i think he bought a magnum r/t.

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
But this subject is helping others who may be in the same boat as he is/was. I have a used transmission in my basement from an 89 xr7 that I would like to put in my car sometime this summer. Mine has been acting odd lately and just seems its slowly dying on me. Now i heard I have to drop the exhaust, driveshaft, and anything else to swap out the tranny? What else should I consider getting when I attempt to do this?

I am in Thomas's shoes right now, not knowing a thing about transmissions, but I am willing to give it a try. Thanks.

·
8,978 Posts
you'll have to drop the rear differential to get the driveshaft out, but its really easy. Unbolt the driveshaft from the differential, unbolt the differential from the chassis and let the halfshafts rest on the lower control arms, then slide the driveshaft out the back of the car.
-Thomas

1 - 18 of 18 Posts