TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( :( :(

i have looked high and low for the 99 Cobra spindles and cant find any. i priced them new from Dan N and it was $3XX each :mad: :mad: . Forget it then, i guess i cant do the swap unless someone here knows of any place i can find this thing. its just a spindle why so d*m much!! :mad:

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Because yuo can't use the complete Cobra rear spindles. Only the hubs. Call Dan back and ask him about just Cobra hubs. You can use complete mustang front spindles and upgrade to mustang brakes at the same time, but I'm not completely sure on the situation regarding brakes when it comes to the rears.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Yes, do call Dan back and tell him you need (2) R32-1109-AA (Cobra Hub $91.54), (2) E9DZ-1215-A (Rear Bearing $104.96), (2) 4B477-A (Hub Retainer $22.48) and (2) N8039555 (Bearing Retainer $7.16). Those Prices are for both and club discount isn't figured in.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks fellas. now i read the article and it said i had to press out the old hub and press in the new ones. all the parts you just listed are they necessary do comlete the swap? im keeping the rear stock brakes. i thought i would just buy 2 hubs and thats it..

·
8,239 Posts
i'm following this thread closely. The stock brakes on the tbird suck, even the sport package is not enough for these heavy cars. I was going to go to sport brakes, but they have the same rotor warpage problems. Then, dual piston gt brakes would be the option. But, if your taking it apart, why not bolt on the brembro cobra 13''ers?

I have a line on the 99 cobra wheels, that would look real nice on my car. They are silver with the svt center caps.

Justin

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JustinH said:
i'm following this thread closely. The stock brakes on the tbird suck, even the sport package is not enough for these heavy cars. I was going to go to sport brakes, but they have the same rotor warpage problems. Then, dual piston gt brakes would be the option. But, if your taking it apart, why not bolt on the brembro cobra 13''ers?

I have a line on the 99 cobra wheels, that would look real nice on my car. They are silver with the svt center caps.

Justin
from what i have heard, the 99+ GT brakes are pretty darn good for the price. you can find them pretty cheap on the corral.net.. just have to look and most importantly you have to trust that they will send you your sh*t.. :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
249 Posts
Well all you really need is the hubs, but I would suggest changing the bearings, its just cheap insurance and you will eventually have to do it, so might as well get all your pressing done once and save some cash. as far as upgrading the rear brakes goes, theres really no need. Before that I would suggest upgrading to 13" cobras up front, they'll be plenty, and quite a huge improvement over stock. You'll also have to have your rear rotors redrilled, bout 30 bucks each. I would suggest getting new rotors if your gonna have them drilled to get more life out of them. Let me stop now, by the time I get done with you, you'll be getting stainless lines and the works.... since you have the knuckles off might as well get poly IRS bushings :D

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Well, a good reason to skip out on the 13" Cobra front brakes is that they require 17" wheels minimum. Personally, I'm still rolling on the stock 15s.

·
Registered
249 Posts
But he is doing a hub swap, so he needs new wheels anyway. Mustang 17" wheels can be had much easier than 15". Go on ebay and see how many millions there are. Plus if you have to buy new rims anyway splurge and get 17's

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Good point Justin. How would those of us with drums go about doing the SN95 change? Can't exactly get the drums redrilled like rotors...

·
Registered
249 Posts
Actually my car came with drums and I have the swap. I got some rear knuckles and brake setup out of a totaled bird for like 300 bucks. Just go to the junkyard. All you really need is the knuckles, calipers, brackets, lines and parking brake cables.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
I see, too bad I haven't been able find a junkyard anywhere near me that even has a TBird/cougar

·
8,239 Posts
or you could put the 11 inch rear cobra brakes on the car.

Sheeh, the rears on the cobra are bigger than my fronts.

Justin

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Hey! Good idea! May take some work to mount the Cobra calipers, but I'd been wondering how I cuold fully upgrade my brakes all around...

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
I realize that, but its not exactly a good thing to be running around on holy drums...unless that filled or patched the factory holes.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Ok. I quietly bow down to your greater wisdom. I've had a bad case of stupidity tonight.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts