TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys when do you work on your cars? I have my own company a wife and a baby, I can't find any time to work on my cougar. It takes forever to get anything done. Do you guys work on them on weekends , nights, after work.

·
Super Moderator
10,303 Posts
Yes.

:)

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Hey guys when do you work on your cars? I have my own company a wife and a baby, I can't find any time to work on my cougar. It takes forever to get anything done. Do you guys work on them on weekends , nights, after work.
All of the above, depending on the project at hand. Not that I spend all my spare time wrenching... I mean weekends, nights, and after work are all options.

If it's just an oil change, I will do it once I'm home from work, as the oil will be plenty warm. My job involves manual labor, so I'm already wearing work clothes that are ok to get dirty.

Replacing the intake, however, would take me a Saturday to complete (if I don't have parts runs to make).

Long-term projects are what I can do, when I can do it. I'm doing some work on my Mustang that will probably be a winter project, which means I am driving the Thunderbird full-time. But if something goes wrong in my T-bird tomorrow, I will have to make it a higher priority and wrench on it right away. Especially if the heater core were to go! *knock on wood*

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
I haven't worked on any of my personal cars ( other than general maintenance ) for quite some time now. I had been working on cars full time, 7 days a week at any time of the day morning to night depending on customers needs for several years.

Since I started my new job two years ago I stopped taking new customers and cut back on existing work, it moved to nights / weekends.

Now I am busy with a full time job, plus weekend work, 3 kids, school .. so Monday - Friday is out. Only time available now is Saturday / sunday, if I don't have work. I generally have one full time project I can work on at my own leisure and schedule other work for the weekends, but its mostly been Sundays with future work scheduled up to 2 months in advance.

I also have an automotive apprentice I have been training on Sundays. One of these days I will hopefully have time to work on one of my own vehicles. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I look at what a car payment would be, what the car would be I would be buying, and make time. I haven't done much recently, except when stuff really breaks, but I try to get in some quality upgrade/personalization time when I can. Mark out half a vacation day (other half towards the house or family), maybe work late in the evening, do it instead of a lunch, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
F/T work, wife, 12 yr old, 4 yr old, newborn................Weekends and late nights after work. Wifey is very understanding of me working on my bird. Wether it be maintenance, and/or rookie upgrades.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I sometimes take "Wrenching Vacations" from work. I.E. this weekend. I'm taking off till monday so I can get a couple days of much needed work done on my ride. You should try it sometime.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
After work, weekends, holidays... whenever. I'm always working on something. I'm sure all my friends are tired of hearing me talk about these damn cars :D

So I bought another basket case this past weekend... :eek:

·
̇
3,702 Posts
Hey guys when do you work on your cars?
When I feel like it.. :D

Seriously though..The beauty of having one of these cars, and it not being a DD is that I can work on it at my leisure..

During the Winter months the car just sits in storage..Then when Spring rolls around all the parts I've been collecting during Winter start getting put on..

Working on my Thunderbird is one of my hobbies that I enjoy..

It's hard to enjoy working on something when it's your main means of transportation, and you need it finished yesterday.. :rolleyes:

Rayo..

·
Super Moderator
10,303 Posts
...It's hard to enjoy working on something when it's your main means of transportation, and you need it finished yesterday..
That's why I have three of these, lol.

One for long term projects, one for short-term projects, and one to DD on the interstate.

Which one is which fluctuates regularly. :)

·
The Parts Guy
7,269 Posts
Maintenance when needed on weeknights, fab work almost every weekend day, but hardly any of it involves the XR7.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts

I didn't have the money, so I parted out some cars to get some parts and cash. Now I don't have the time, so I bought another one as a daily. Just got done with replacing the front suspension and brakes on the new one. I want to have the bird back on the road soon.

-Bryan

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
its no fun doing work on a daily, but performance upgrades are always much more exciting to work on, at least for me it is

this past week I had to replace 3 transmissions in my f150 harley truck, I absolutely did not want to but after it was all said and done I'll admit that it was actually fun even though I dreaded it at first

get yourself intoxicated and it play some loud music, makes it much more enjoyable, also if you have company too that makes it a touch more pleasurable

1 - 15 of 15 Posts