TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any update on the the quality of Firehawk Indy 500 tire. I need tires on my 1995 t-bird and my son (who drives the car) is bugging the crap out of me to get these tires. He wants raised white letters and these are the only ones i can really find that are reasonable. size is 215 70 15

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,368 Posts
I enjoyed these tires when I was running them as a daily driver. Pretty good grip for their tread contact patch. I think I wrote a review of them in the tire review thread, can't remember for sure though.

I say go for 'em. If I had the stock sized wheels and was looking for value+grip, I wouldn't hesitate to get these. One word though- they sure aren't snow tires. :)

·
Baby Huey
3,210 Posts
Used to run them before I got my 17's, they're an awesome tire.

·
Banned
998 Posts
I would go a little wider. Say maybe 235

·
Super Moderator
9,368 Posts
And I have them on my SVO , the best traction of all that I have had.:)
Hm... I thought you had Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500s on the SVO? :confused: I think the OP is talking about the white lettered Firehawk Indy 500.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,368 Posts
I actually bought them to replace the original set of mismatched, poor traction tires that were on the T-bird after doing some research on TireRack. For my price range, they had the best overall rating in all categories. And my experience with them reflects the general consensus of their performance ratings. So yes, while he might want them because of the white letters, they are still very good tires.

·
Registered
367 Posts
255/60's are great. they look good on the rear. i had a 255/60 15's in the rear and 205/70 15's up front it looked great

·
Registered
966 Posts
255/60's are great. they look good on the rear. i had a 255/60 15's in the rear and 205/70 15's up front it looked great
That seems dangerously wide on a stock rim. I thought 235 was pushin' it, its a 6.5 inch rim not 7.5 inch

·
Registered
623 Posts
do you have any pics of that? Id love to see it.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
i had the firehawk wide oval several years ago and boy, they were the best wet traction tires/dry tire that i have encountered?they have the wide oval indy 500 that i haven't tried yet , but surely was the best tire , better than the pirelli p nezero(still slides around, just OK but got the best in its class???, NOT!!!) or the bfgoodrich sports summer tire(crap, dont buy please!!!) Kumho esta(crap, crap and dont buy either!!!) but for all the same level, definitely go with the wide oval, but not sure of the wide oval indy 500?put the wide oval and the indy 500 and make the comparison:)good luck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update: Just had the tires on today. Man my kid was right they do look sharp! The only problem is there is now a noise like a tire hum. Anyone else experience that? Maybe they need to get broke in?

·
Super Moderator
9,368 Posts
The tires are a bit more noisy than the crap tires that were on my car before these, but they're not too bad. I got used to it after a week or so.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
I love raised white letter 15" tires on these cars...I had a set of BFG Radial T/A tires on my old 95 for a while, they where great, in every way.

·
Registered
367 Posts
sorry took so long to reply guys, i will see if i can find some backend shots of it. i do have one on my other bird sitting outside

·
Registered
367 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
thats all i got saved left. they were balanced with stick on weights i refuse to run bead weights. they fit well and i wouldn't go any bigger. about 10inch wide never had any wear issues or problems

1 - 20 of 22 Posts