TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was wondering what your opinion on these tires. I have them on my 1995 and wonder if this is my problem with the choppy ride.

It seems that I have to feel every bump and divit in the road. Wavy roads really make the wheel shake, more so then on other cars I own. I don't know what other birds experience, but I have replaced everything else. My 1993 Mark VIII driveshaft has been balanced, a totally new front end was done a couple of years ago and I also had a Road Force balancing done.. The only thing that is left is the Firehawks.

I haven't driven another other bird other then my own. What do you think?

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
I feel the road through my steering wheel too. It's not too bad. I need to go down one size in aspect ratio. I've heard my tires rub the top of the spindles if they deflect a certain way from a deep bump at speed.

·
Super Moderator
9,312 Posts
I had these on my bird from the beginning of 2009 thru April 2010, then I got the 17s and 45 series tires. The Indy 500s went onto the Cougar for winter use shortly after I got the car in September and were on the car until I parked it in April. The old tires that were on the car took bumps a little less harsh than the Indy 500s, but I feel that is because the tire pressure was always low (26-28) in comparison.

There is definitely a difference in how the car responds to steering input and road imperfections between the tires. The car felt about the same as far as ride quality in any of the 70 series tires I've driven on; bumps and such seem to resonate within the sidewalls more and make things last longer. The 45 series I have on the T-bird's 17s handle much better and the car feels less shaken over bumps, but to be fair I keep my tire pressures higher than normal - 35 PSI in the Indy 500s and 40 PSI in the Wide Ovals. Recommended spec is 30 PSI. Obviously the lower the pressure the more the impacts will be absorbed.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I love mine. they grip like hell when its dry out, ride quality seems fine to me. only bad part is when its wet the tires will spin like no other. If the road is wet I can spin the tires at a 30 roll if I jump on it. -And yes the tires still have alot of life left on them I checked them the other day.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I love mine. they grip like hell when its dry out, ride quality seems fine to me. only bad part is when its wet the tires will spin like no other. If the road is wet I can spin the tires at a 30 roll if I jump on it. -And yes the tires still have alot of life left on them I checked them the other day.
I'm guilty of said tire spinning when I had my Indy500s in rain at stop lights lol. :zwall:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts