TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
noticed this as i pulled my motor. does this have to do with the structural integrity of the car? its about 10 inches long. can it be fixed? does it need to be? thanks!

·
Registered
789 Posts

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
That is a ton worse than the two I saw like that at the JY. Neither one looked like hard impacts so I don't think it was caused by what put then in the scrap heap, but the crack wasn't near that long and it didn't separate and one side sag down like yours.

I say that can't be good!

·
Registered
789 Posts
From what I understand, there were 2 types of firewalls on these cars. Some got a 1pc, some a 2. The 2pc is just tackwelded in 3 spots. The top tack weld broke on mine.. that caused alot of flex.

My reinforcement was a full weld along the entire seam.

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
Luckily I have the one piece in my 89 cougar. Here is a picture for comparison.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Gonna go look at mine tomorrow!

What causes the cracking I wonder???

If you can get to backside, guess it could be welded, plated and welded, plated and bolted, or plated and riveted.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Got many in the 5 speed car. In the transmission tunnel of all places.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Looks like you've got another one just below your windshield wiper motor?

The first thing to do is drill a hole at the end each crack. A 3/16" should do nicely. This will redistribute stress and prevent the crack from spreading any farther. I recommend stripping the paint first to get a good look at it. The metal will crack before the paint will, so be sure you drill in the right spot.

Just make sure before you drill that you're not drilling into something vital. If you plan to be nice to your car Just calk the holes and call it a day. If you plan on beating on it. Weld in a fish plate, then see what you can do to stiffen up the chassis a bit.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
my buddy is coming over with a tig welder in the morning. enough 332 rod should patch her right up. thanks for all the posts! i will post follow up pics too.

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
Seriously, it's time to look for a new chassis. That thing needs to be taken out back and...:zapyth:

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Yeah I am looking for a clean 95 from West Texas to Arizona. Just a body. 3.8 no SC would be good.

Just a body with moonroof and absolutely NO rust. I plan on reinforcing the entire structure and rebuilding with my go goodies.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
WARNING: arc welders, no matter how small and turned to the lowest setting WILL BURN A HOLE IN YOUR FIREWALL!!!!! mig welder enroute to patch new hole next to crack :(

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Be careful welding you don't want a fire to start on the other side. Do small spots and allow it to cool. I have seen these cracks quite a few times. I thought it was only the early models however. My 91 was terrible.
Alan

1 - 20 of 35 Posts