TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this today after pulling the Engine.
Can it be welded without removing the Dash?
Should it be reinforced of some kind?
Thanks for any input.

-Maic

·
Registered
746 Posts
I would pull anything on the otherside of the firewall off for welding. Also, drilling a hole at the end of the cracks should keep them from spreading, however Im not sure if thats necessary when its welded up.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
You can re-weld the Crack, but it wont fix the problem, or prevent it from happening again ( especially welding around that area, the metal around the welded Crack will probably crack next ).

The uni-body needs additional bracing / reinforcement to prevent it from flexing and cracking.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
I bet you could weld that with a mig welder(make sure its got gas....don't use flux, to much slag) from the engine bay just fine.
Take your time, with some low heat(easy to blow through that thin metal).
I would pull away(if you can), what you can get to under the dash.....but I'm thinkin it will be fine.

even if you could weld some small re-enforcing strips to the crack itself, that would help out some.

The safest bet would be to pull the dash and the insulation on the firewall......but I guess that depends on how much time and work you are wanting to put into it.

as you can see in this pic, I have done a bit of welding to the firewall....and have a bit to go.

lemme know if I can be of any more help!

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I bet you could weld that with a mig welder(make sure its got gas....don't use flux, to much slag) from the engine bay just fine.
Take your time, with some low heat(easy to blow through that thin metal).
I would pull away(if you can), what you can get to under the dash.....but I'm thinkin it will be fine.

even if you could weld some small re-enforcing strips to the crack itself, that would help out some.

The safest bet would be to pull the dash and the insulation on the firewall......but I guess that depends on how much time and work you are wanting to put into it.

as you can see in this pic, I have done a bit of welding to the firewall....and have a bit to go.

lemme know if I can be of any more help!
Thanks on that.

Putting work into the car is not a problem. lol
Time, and the fact i do all in the driveway limits me some. And of Course money. lol

-Maic

1 - 14 of 14 Posts