TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I made it out to Milan Dragway last evening for the first time since the new motor got completed and tuned. Weather was far from optimum, with air temps in the low to mid 90s, but traction was good. The NT05Rs fully met my expectations! I only made two successful runs, but both were significant improvements over my previous personal best of 11.96 @ 117 mph:
Run #1: 11.45 @ 122 mph with 1.77 60-foot. This was launching from an idle.
Run #2: 11.28 @ 123 mph with 1.69 60-foot. This was launching with some brake torque.

I tried a third run with more brake torque, but the car pushed through and I red lit. Waited in line until sunset for a fourth run, but they kept shutting the track down for cleanups and I finally packed up and left. May try again next Wednesday if weather permits. I'm pretty sure that the car has a 10 second run in it in cooler air and if I can optimize the launch RPM.

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
Well done sir, and you did the Epic Drive also. Outstanding I look forward to seeing ya break into the 10's

Read ya later,Nick

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! It is amazing how different the car feels with the new setup. The burnout is bigger, the sound of the engine going down track is louder, the sensation of speed going through the traps is more thrilling. It was quick enough to be entertaining before, but now it is actually fast. I got a lot of positive feedback about the car and its performance from other racers and bystanders. Now I just need to learn the optimum technique for launching. I'm close enough to the 10's that I know I'm going to fixate on reaching them. If this level of power won't do it, I have a smaller pulley........

·
Super Moderator
11,862 Posts
Congrats Mike! It will be the first Tbird to break into the 10's in quite some time.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Congrats!

Al

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went back to Milan last evening on a quest for better ETs, but did not get them. On my second run, the throttle cable pulled out of the end fitting and the engine dropped to idle. Couldn’t find a replacement fitting, so I ended up modifying a carburetor jet purchased from the track shop to use as a bolt, and borrowed a drill to make a hole in the throttle body arm. Luckily, I had a nut which matched the threads on the jet. Anyway, after 2-1/2 hours in very hot and humid conditions, I had a functioning throttle, so I swapped tires, packed up and headed home. Will try making some runs this fall when it isn’t so hot.

·
Super Moderator
11,862 Posts
Sounds like a plan. I had issues too the last time I went to the track the alternator on my car decided to take a dump. Like you it took about two hours to source another one and swap them out. Hoping for better ETs this fall. Let's see if we can't get both of our cars into the 10's!

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got back to Milan tonight, hoping for quicker times in the cooler air and with the new tune. The place was jammed with street cars, so I completed only three runs in five hours! Unfortunately, I could not remove one of the lug nuts on my right rear wheel, so I ended up running on the NT555Rs (my street tires) rather than the NT05Rs (my track tires). And, since it is a royal PITA to change air pressure with the HRBB wheels, I just left them at 35 psi. In spite of these non-optimal conditions, the car ran a best of 11.158 @ 125.0 with a 1.738 60-foot time. My other runs were 11.237 @ 124.8 and 11.205 @ 124.5. All three were quicker and faster than the previous best of 11.280 @ 123.0, although the short times were not as good. Assuming I can deal with the lug nut issue and the weather holds, I'm hoping to run again next Wednesday with better tires and lower pressure to improve the 60-foots.

·
Super Moderator
11,862 Posts
Wow! Congratulations! You've got yourself a solid high 10 second car there.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Congrats!

I would switch the tires out at home. They won't wear out on the drive, I have put thousands of miles on different sets of DR's since it's all I run on my street/strip car. Makes the track experience more enjoyable not have to do a tedious job, twice.

Al

·
Registered
225 Posts
Inching in for the mark. Have you ever disconnected the on side of the front anti-sway bar for weight transfer. I've not done it myself but have heard that it helps.
Read ya later, Nick

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the encouragement! I actually change out all four tires at the track, since I have skinnies on Lincoln LS spares for the front. It is a lot of work, but I prefer to drive the 40 miles to the track on my street setup. I've heard about the sway-bar disconnect, but have not tried it. I do set my Koni front struts to minimum damping when at the track, which lets the nose rise more quickly.

I'm hoping to get a 10.99 or better with full interior, spare in the trunk, working A/C, etc. But, if I'm close to the number next week I may take out some weight. The 8-way power passenger seat weighs about 70 lbs, and with the spare and other miscellaneous stuff I'm sure I can get 100 lbs out of the car.

·
Super Moderator
11,862 Posts
Inching in for the mark. Have you ever disconnected the on side of the front anti-sway bar for weight transfer. I've not done it myself but have heard that it helps.
Read ya later, Nick
RobertP removed the front anti-sway bar on his 9.xx run. Take the spare tire and rear seat out for heavens sake!

·
Super Moderator
10,289 Posts
You'll be amazed how much just the trunk carpet, rear seat, and tire cover weighs.

It lightens the rear end up a bunch; which isn't great, since these are nose heavy anyway.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Had hoped to post a new personal best by now, but the weather has not been cooperating and continues to deteriorate here in Michigan. Milan Dragway offers test 'n tune sessions on Wednesdays and Saturdays this late in the season, but it has rained on most of them. At present, rain is not predicted next Wednesday or the following Saturday (this could easily change!), but temperatures will be very cool so traction may be an issue. If at all possible I'm going to get in one more set of runs before storing my car for the winter.

·
Super Moderator
11,862 Posts
Good to hear you're still going after that 10.9 second run! I believe you can get it.

·
Super Moderator
10,289 Posts
Do you guys still do the Thanksgiving dragstrip day you used to?

·
Super Moderator
11,862 Posts
There hasn't been any talk of an after Thanksgiving meet yet but I'll ask around. The track will definitely be open it's just a matter of if any of us decide to go. I'm heading to Cars & Coffee - Charlotte in the morning and then over to ProDyno for their fall cruise-in. If I'm lucky I'll get some time on the Dyno to see what numbers she puts down.

I've been thinking about heading to the track but I'm still being called out for different jobs. I just got home from Arkansas on Saturday and they've got me penciled in for a job at the shop here in Charlotte on Monday before I jet back off to Phoenix on Wednesday for a job there... BTW, does anybody in the Phoenix area want to meet on Wednesday or Thursday? I plan on climbing Camelback MTN as soon as I land; who's up for a challenging climb?!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts