TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, gang.

I recently picked up a 1994 Lincoln Mark 8.

I'm slipping in a mod or two when time permits here in a couple of weeks, but what I'm curious about are the first five things you'd recommend doing to this car to obviously get it to go a bit quicker. Keep in mind I will already have a couple of things in line:
1. 3.73 gear set (I already have a pumpkin ready to go in)...that's what I'm stuck with for now, but am interested in suggestions for later.

2. I'm thinking of sending in a spare MK8 convertor to be reworked...but an improved aftermarket (Dirty Dog) is in the cards for later

3. I do have a dual 2 1/2" exhaust system from the 5.0 car

One other note: I don't have smog to deal with here. None at all. Hint. Hint.

The question is: Aside from what I've already got in mind here, what are the first five things any of you would do with this car?

As usual, any replies would be appreciated.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Jerry Mod
trans cooler
Mustang airbox/MAF
PI intake
gas pedal mod (won't make you any faster but throttle response will be night and day)

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jerry Mod
trans cooler
Mustang airbox/MAF
PI intake
gas pedal mod (won't make you any faster but throttle response will be night and day)
1. Good idea.
2. Good idea.
3. Uh, does that even work on a Lincoln?
4. Lincoln = 4V, PI = 2V
5. Elaborate.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I think most people will post very similar lists.

Gear as you stated. 3.73 is a good start. 4.10s would be better because it's a 4v.
More converter. 4vs need more rpm I wouldn't waste your money on a reworked mark 8 TC -do it right the first time.
Jmod
A good custom tune
Full exhaust - Dual exhaust - check. Headers - ____

One extra:
Wheels - to me mark 8s always look bleh with stock wheels. A set of 18" saleens really set it them off IMHO

Might want to post goals for the car. Most of us just assume drag racing.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
1: 4.10 or 4.56 gear set
2: Jmod + Tru-cool trans cooler
3: Circle D 3800, 4000, or 4200 stall multiplate converter
4: 1996 - 1998 cobra intake manifold and IMRC delete
5: Kooks headers +dual exhaust

You'll be tempted to do all sorts of Mickey Mouse b.s. and smaller changes... take my advice DON'T! Follow those steps and your going to LOVE your mark viii it will be a beast.

Of course all of these modifications assume that your safety related items are all in immaculate condition suspension (air ride or coil conversion) are in great shape, shocks, brakes, bushings, control arms, ball joints and tires. If you vehicle requires attention in any of those areas for any reason whatsoever then this whole thread is a waste of time for everyone involved.

·
Is something burning?..
712 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
1: 4.10 or 4.56 gear set
3: Circle D 3800, 4000, or 4200 stall multiplate converter
5: Kooks headers +dual exhaust

You'll be tempted to do all sorts of Mickey Mouse b.s. and smaller changes... take my advice DON'T! Follow those steps and your going to LOVE your mark viii it will be a beast.

Of course all of these modifications assume that your safety related items are all in immaculate condition suspension (air ride or coil conversion) are in great shape, shocks, brakes, bushings, control arms, ball joints and tires. If you vehicle requires attention in any of those areas for any reason whatsoever then this whole thread is a waste of time for everyone involved.
1: 4.30 or 4.56 gear set
3: true dual exhaust with high flow cats/mufflers
5: Custom Dyno-tune

is what I would do.

·
Registered
76 Posts
1. Good idea.
2. Good idea.
3. Uh, does that even work on a Lincoln?
4. Lincoln = 4V, PI = 2V
5. Elaborate.
:facepalm: For some reason I thought you were talking about an MN12 and not a Lincoln. As for the gas pedal mod, see below.

I used a piece of rubber hose instead of nylon, but it works just as good. Just make sure to leave a tiny bit of slack so you don't snap your throttle cable when you floor it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Someone measure TPS voltage and correct me if I'm wrong, but I've been told that the floorboard prevents you from going fully wide open on the stock configuration. Maybe it's in my head but now it's easier for me to break traction and now the dead spot in the pedal is gone.

·
Super Moderator
10,751 Posts
Adding the PI intake is what changes the throttle response, lol.

I bet you did them at the same time. :)

BTW, Take a good look at your engine mounts; if the driver's side breaks, it stuffs the engine against the hood, which holds the throttle wide open until you hit something to re-seat the engine.

That is bad, M'kay? :)

I have a chain that will prevent that now. :D

·
Super Moderator
9,358 Posts
Someone measure TPS voltage and correct me if I'm wrong, but I've been told that the floorboard prevents you from going fully wide open on the stock configuration.
Nope, WOT is limited by 90 degrees at the butterfly valve. WOT on the TPS is ~95% - both at using pedal and the butterfly itself. The PCM treats everything above about 2/3 as WOT.

2. I'm thinking of sending in a spare MK8 convertor to be reworked...but an improved aftermarket (Dirty Dog) is in the cards for later
+1 on Circle D or PI for the converter...

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
1. 3.73 gears with TL
2. JMod, better TC and a cooler (and 96+ pan and gasket)
3. sensor lower it if still on air
4. 93 single piece driveshaft
5. true duals (no third cat)

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1. The 3.73 pumpkin is going to go in for now, due to the absolute jerk reason being I have one sitting out in the garage, ready to go. However, since I'm not too impressed with the overkill 8-clutch mod that I did to the 'new' pumpkin, I'm going to build the MK8 unit later, with steeper gears.

2. I've got access to a couple of 2001-2002 Crown Vic 4R70W transmissions, I thought about updating, and then working with that transmission, along with swapping out the convertor. Not too terribly impressed with how these transmissions work...but it's the only game in town, as given how much more 'fun' (sarcastically) it is to install a manual transmission into these cars...I may save my Cobra T45 for another project.
Transmission cooler is in the works, as well.

3. Exhaust: As stated, I've got a dual full set from the 1992 Bird sitting out in the garage, hanging from the rafters...that's supposed to be going in sometime soon.

3A. I am thinking about headers for this car. Also thinking of the insane price. Whatever happens, I'll still put headers on this car, but I am going to complain about the cost for quite some time, especially since the only source out there needs to make it a lottery sale on every set that goes out the door.

4. Not sure about the Cobra intake, as they're not exactly falling from the sky in my neck of the woods.

5. Concerning a tune, agreed, it's on the 'to-do' list.

This car is already pretty quick as it is, at least with the clogged and curvy roads that are around here...it's a retirement village town, where Toyota drivers are running out the clock, waiting to die...so nobody is in any hurry.

On a side note, I can't keep from glancing at the two Chevy 5.3 LS engines sitting on stands in a far corner...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts