TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you who have read anything about the new supercharged 03 Cobra know its got the t56 6 speed in it right? Do you drive train gurus know if there would be a way to swap a t56 into my 95 4.6L TBird?

·
Registered
809 Posts
I have done it to my 97 but I used a T-45. It would be harder to do with the T-56 because it was a magnetic speed not the gear drive that our cars use. I would stick with the T-45 because it shifts much better than the T-56 that I have tried and the gears in a T-45 are more than short enough to keep you in the power band.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Which do you think is tougher, just out of curiosity. I know the T56 was designed by Borg Warner for the Viper so it will handle over 450hp without a challenge. I just thought it would be cool to have the 6 gears. How much would it run me to swap in a T45 you figure?

And one more question? I've been told that the TKO is one of the strongest Ford trannies (told by a guy who races a 02 Cobra). What are they like (as if I could afford them. :) )

·
Registered
809 Posts
Sorry but I don't know about the TKO. The T-45 is rated up to 330 lbs ft but lots of mustangs guys run them in supercharged cars. I love my T-45, it has a very nice fell and crisp tight internal gates. It cost me 3500 canadian or 2800 US $ to do the swap but I did it all myself. Have you looked at the tech article by Papa john on the old TCOCA ?
It's a worth while swap as it transforms the car to (allmost a muscle car}

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
scott said:
Sorry but I don't know about the TKO. The T-45 is rated up to 330 lbs ft but lots of mustangs guys run them in supercharged cars. I love my T-45, it has a very nice fell and crisp tight internal gates. It cost me 3500 canadian or 2800 US $ to do the swap but I did it all myself. Have you looked at the tech article by Papa john on the old TCOCA ?
It's a worth while swap as it transforms the car to (allmost a muscle car}
who did you go to for the custom parts? shifter box etc.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I did the maching my self.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The T-45 trans, especially the 96-98 Cobra is the ONLY way to go. The T-56 has basically 2 overdrives--big deal. The Cobra has a lower 1st. gear than the GT and 1,2,3 are close ratios to eachother. Do it rite and you will have a mid size sports car The difference is like driving a Disneyland go kart---step on gas, step on brake as opposed to being in total control of every movement of the car.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Papajohn, how do can you tell a Cobra T-45 from the one in a GT.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I went the T45 route, how easy would it be for me to stick a built 4r70w in later on down the road?

·
Illinois Chapter Director
1,787 Posts
For those of you that have completed this swap...Can someone send me pics of the shifter? I'm just curious. I won't be attempting this swap since I'm 6'6" and it's hard with two pedals, but I'd like to see how the interior looks when the swap is done and the shifter is mounted.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Sorry but I can't send pictures I'm not that smart. lol My car looks stock, I bought a B&M leather shifter boot that slips over the shift lever and fits in the cut out were the selector gauge was.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts