TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so as the pictures show my catalytic converters are hooked to the rest of the exhaust two different ways. one of them is welded on, an the other one has some kind of fitting. the one that isn't welded has rusted to the point where the bolts are completely gone, and it got really loud...

which one is stock? the weld or the fitting? am i going to have to have this one welded like the other one?

·
Registered
623 Posts
I would put new bolts in and call it a day. I'm not sure if those are studs or not. If they are, burn them out (if you have a torch) or break what's left of them out and drill the flange to accept a bolt.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Propane is too cold to burn them out. Also everything is so close on these cars its not a good idea to heat anything that much underthere any way. I would recommend removing the y pipe, break off the studs grind them flat then center punch and drill out the remaining. Then get some good quality hex bolts (stainless steel) and then reassemble. The hex bolts do have the ease of the studs but if they ever get damaged they are very easy to replace. Also be very carefull with the drivers side manifold a replacement is on the order of $700.

Will

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks. i thought i would be able to knock the studs out with a hammer, but it didn't work. i'll probably have to cut them off and drill holes for new bolts. What do you mean remove the y pipe? idk if it makes a difference or not but my car has true dual exhaust so i don't think there is a y pipe. if i have to replace the drivers side manifold, i will probably just get new headers, pipe, and mufflers and have them all installed at once, once i finally sell my t-bird.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts