TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
2002-05 Ford Thunderbird: This retro-cool re-imagining of the classic 1955 Thunderbird was actually a pretty competent car that shared its underpinnings with both Lincoln and Jaguar. More of a boulevard cruiser than a sports car, the car perfectly captured the spirit of the original T-Bird. How the same people who came up with the Bullitt Edition Mustang could have resisted an “American Graffiti” version of the T-Bird in white is beyond us.
They should have had a Top 6, with the Pontiac Aztec the next one after the the newer Thunderbirds.

Ford ruined this car but not putting in a Modular V8. I guess it could be worse, they could have used a Taurus drivetrain and make it FWD. I am sure this was discussed a million times here so I will quit while I am ahead. :)

·
Registered
871 Posts
Neat list, I thought the Solstice was an ugly car, the G8 GXP is defiantly going to be a classic, they are really awesome cars. Kinda surprised the 04-06 GTO didn't make the list, but then again everybody hates those cars because it was the Australian built Holden Monaro rebadged with GTO emblems everywhere, either way I have a feeling those are going to be something sought after years from now. As for the 3.9/4.0 they offered with the Thunderbird is actually a great motor with lots of power, I've driven plenty of Lincoln LS's and those cars would knock the d!ck off my Thunderbird in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
For those folks who are more familiar with GM products, how did the G8 GXP differ from the GTO? Both were Holdens with the LS engines from the vette, right?

-g

·
Registered
871 Posts
The GTO is a Holden Monaro, originally offered with an LS1 5.7, in 2005 they started to use the LS2 6.0, and then later dropped the GTO in 2006. The G8 is a Holden Commodore, the GXP is equipped with and LS3 6.2. They are completely different cars inside and out, I believe they are seperate platforms, with the GTO being on the Sigma platform and the G8 being a zeta platform. I also know someone with a 2011 Caprice PPV (Police Patrol Vehicle), that car is a Holden Statesman, same as the G8 and commodore but it is 9 inches longer.

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
THose 01 bullitts got people disliking them when they were new because they werent fast enough and Ford lied in a bad way on the numbers or I remember some such nonsense from MM&FF. I do believe people liked a few things about them in the stang rags but overall said it was a let down. You can piece together a Bullitt clone anyway if you love them. I like how they looked and that highland green color.

·
Super Moderator
16,819 Posts
I remember that publicity with the 99 Cobras but AFAIK the bullitts weren't ever subject to that kind of negative publicity. They were only rated at 5-10 horsepower more than the regular GTs and with that intake manifold I could believe it.

Plus The 01 had 13" brakes. At the very LEAST they could have put GT500 Brembos on the 08s but Noooooo They decided painting a stock GT DHG and bolting a crappy hot air intake to it was enough.

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
I remember that publicity with the 99 Cobras but AFAIK the bullitts weren't ever subject to that kind of negative publicity. They were only rated at 5-10 horsepower more than the regular GTs and with that intake manifold I could believe it.

Plus The 01 had 13" brakes. At the very LEAST they could have put GT500 Brembos on the 08s but Noooooo They decided painting a stock GT DHG and bolting a crappy hot air intake to it was enough.
I remember the brakes and rims being the big deal those cars as in the only making it better than a gt. People felt a little "cheated" I think was the gripe on the small bump in power over a regular gt. Now those rims are no big deal and the brakes are more common. How things have changed in since 01 with cars with brake rotors bigger than rims of the last century.

As you say the new stangs are all package deals to get you to shell out the extra 10k or whatever.

·
Listening on 141.850 mHz!
829 Posts
I know, I saved on space in my sentence. Oh well, regardless, the Marks aren't on there anyway.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
The only thing I liked on that list was the bullitt stang. I thought some obvious ones were termi cobras, new edge mach 1s, (all new edge mustangs eventually), Pontiac WS6, merc marauder, thunderbird SC, GTO, s14 240, rx7 (if it's not already), gen 2 gst eclipse. I feel like these newer cars with all the bells and whistles are going to be so much more work to keep up in 20 or 30 years no one will want them. You'll spend more time fixing accessories than on the motor or drivetrain.

·
Super Moderator
16,819 Posts
Terminators, definitely. They're still THE benchmark of modern Mustangs (dare I say modern performance submodels as a whole) and have even held their value very well (they're almost 10 years old and can still fetch ~$25k).

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
The only thing I liked on that list was the bullitt stang. I thought some obvious ones were termi cobras, new edge mach 1s, (all new edge mustangs eventually), Pontiac WS6, merc marauder, thunderbird SC, GTO, s14 240, rx7 (if it's not already), gen 2 gst eclipse. I feel like these newer cars with all the bells and whistles are going to be so much more work to keep up in 20 or 30 years no one will want them. You'll spend more time fixing accessories than on the motor or drivetrain.
I forgot about the marauder. That's a sexy automobile.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts