TCCoA Forums banner
421 - 440 of 477 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Are you sure you want to do all of hte work for a headswap for just a little bit of compression?

Seriously... the jump from 9.5:1 to 10.5:1 might give 10hp at most. You'd be far better off sending those fresh NPI heads off to Jim at renegade racing to have them ported.

PIs are best for boost since they flow better on the exhaust side.

NPIs flow better on the intake side, and the exhaust is at a 3/4 ratio to the intake. This lets them make gobs more low end torque and carry it up higher.

Just a thought.
-Ryan

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #422 ·
Well, the headswap would be cheaper actually. By the time I paid for shipping to and from Jim, and paid for the headwork, it would cost more. I can get a set of Good PI heads for around 300, then have them checked out here at a good machine shop and install them at a meet yet to be set. This has been an expensive couple months.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Cj, How much did it cost you when it was all said and done?

Michael, I'm just playing the devils advocate here... I decided against the headswap because the power gain wasn't really worth it for the work and price involved. You said yourself that the old motor seemed to be faster, and didn't have any issues that you knew of. Why fix what isn't broken?

Can't we just do a PI cam and intake swap on the LE motor and drop it in?

Any more thoughts on what happened to the GT?

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #427 ·
Well, I've gone over the car quickly. It has no antifreeze left in the tank, but there doesn't appear to be any in the oil either (there's none on the dipstick). Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be any oil on the dipstick either. It will turn over, but it sounds really sick when it does.

I think I'll just put the other engine/tranny in with the PI cams and intake and call it good. Can't really afford a set of PI heads.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Sounds like a much easier plan too :D

Ever get that tune?

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #429 ·
No word from Lonnie yet. Right now a running engine is of higher priority than the tune. I think I'm set to get it done. If I don't have to pull any heads I've got all that I need here already. We'll have to pull the parts from the engine in the GT to complete the engine in the garage, then put the engine tranny combo in the GT. I'm free next weekend and every other weekend after that. Who can make it?

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #430 ·

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well, on a last minute notice--
Looks like I'm driving my junk to Parsons today--

anyone around?

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #432 ·
I'll be around, I could use some help with a diagnosis and a cure.

PM Me if you want to stop by.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #433 ·
James, it was great to get to meet you! You've got to make it to some of our events! (I'lll try to have one here before the summer is really out).

Thanks SOOOO much for the diagnostic. I've got to get one of those things!
But, I haven't been able to use the Pressure checker because the one adapter that fits my car appears to be missing. Might want to look around your garage for one. Anyway, I'll get back with you later once I am able to replace that O2 sensor, plug, and make sure its not leaking anymore.

·
Registered
81 Posts
James, it was great to get to meet you! You've got to make it to some of our events! (I'lll try to have one here before the summer is really out).

Thanks SOOOO much for the diagnostic. I've got to get one of those things!
But, I haven't been able to use the Pressure checker because the one adapter that fits my car appears to be missing. Might want to look around your garage for one. Anyway, I'll get back with you later once I am able to replace that O2 sensor, plug, and make sure its not leaking anymore.
Hey Mike--
I'll have to check--but I think the other adapters have to be purchased separately-
sorry--I'll look on sears website.

BTW-My name is Jon--;) --
It's ok, I have an ex wife--I've been called way worse--

oh--I did mention a guy named James-
he is going to be doing my remote tuning--

www.hensonperformance.com

It was good meeting you--I will be around more often.
in fact--My friend wants to run his new GTO and turbo Hyabusa at Mokan-I was going to tow the bike and make my runs also. Maybe we could make it a thing--

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #435 ·
:xpshame: Sorry about that...

Hey, can you give me a link or the name of the company that makes the hardware and software you were using on the car?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
So how goes it Michael?? Any news on the GT? When you say #5, you mean drivers side front??

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #437 ·
Yes, drivers side front. I put a new O2 sensor on the left side today, and checked the plugs. But I'm still getting a CEL, and steam from the tailpipes. And of course the miss. I am gonna have to end up pulling the drivers side head, having it machined and reinstalling it (carefully) with a new gasket. I'll try again with the stop leak this weak. (drain everything, radiator, block everything) But I don't hold much hope for an easy fix.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
So its getting coolant in the cylinder near the aluminum coolant crossover :confused:

Before you pull the head, run a compression test on that cyl' and the one behind it. Its more likely that its comming from the intake gasket rather than the head gasket since its running smoothly.

·
Registered
81 Posts
:xpshame: Sorry about that...

Hey, can you give me a link or the name of the company that makes the hardware and software you were using on the car?
Wow--sorry Mike!

I never got an email notification-good thing I checked in on ya!

www.scantool.net

Mike--if you want to drive that thing here that would be awesome--
I have lots of air tools-hoist-and much room. We'll pull that head if needed--

421 - 440 of 477 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.