TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a spot check and thinking it was a sticky caliper (rotor was warped in a very strange manner, 3 levels, inside was fine, middle was a step down, outside was...interesting. Figured the piston was bad) -- wrong, bad hub.

More importantly was how/what lead to this hubs failure. We dismantled the rear pass. side when doing a diff swap some time ago. When it was put back together, an impact was used (and for the record, I HATE impacts) to put the nut back on the 1/2 shaft and this, in turn, caused the problem.

The nut was seemingly secured properly (500ft/lb impact, but not on full), however, in doing so, we assume it loosened a lot of the rust in that area and this give it room to move and loosen itself slightly allowing the hub to become mobile, wearing the bearing down in a strange manner and effectively, destorying the hub and bearing.

Anyway, thought I'd share. I'd recommend going BACK a few days later and checking that nut. Amazingly, my car rides a lot nicer now :)

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thyg0d said:
They usually do when everything is bolted down correctly...:D:D:D
Just had to...

Great to know....

//Per
yep, so you have to add one to the 'obvious' list...
things work better when...
- plugged in
- turned on
- turned up
- assembled correctly

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Fubarian said:
When it was put back together, an impact was used (and for the record, I HATE impacts) to put the nut back on the 1/2 shaft and this, in turn, caused the problem.
:zbash: :zbash: :uppoint: :uppoint: :rofl: :rofl: :crazy: :crazy:

You just eliminated ANY ammunition that you might have vs. my cars and their slowness.... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Conversations will henceforth go like this: You, “Your cars are slow…” Me, “Yes, but at least I don’t use an impact wrench on a half-shaft bolt…” :D :rofl: :thumbsup:

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
94 Daily Driven 4.6L said:
:zbash: :zbash: :uppoint: :uppoint: :rofl: :rofl: :crazy: :crazy:

You just eliminated ANY ammunition that you might have vs. my cars and their slowness.... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Conversations will henceforth go like this: You, “Your cars are slow…” Me, “Yes, but at least I don’t use an impact wrench on a half-shaft bolt…” :D :rofl: :thumbsup:
wasn't me that put it back together. I've always hated impacts and now I have even more reasons. (I call 'em cheater tools)

oh and just to add stuff, I just noticed. You = 2x fubar age (well, damn near anyway)
...and yes, you = teh sl0w ...I just need to stop letting people help me work on my car

1 - 5 of 5 Posts