TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and scott isnt doing it anymore :(

I emailed powls speedo they want $200 with a 30 or 90 day warranty (I forget)

also tried www.car-radio.com in richmond VA they told me around $200 with a 1 yr 12,000 mile warranty

I'm afraid to go near the ford dealer ... can you buy the new speedo unit ??

I have 3 clusters and none of the damn odometers work

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
pnyklr said:
I did a search and scott isnt doing it anymore :(

I emailed powls speedo they want $200 with a 30 or 90 day warranty (I forget)

also tried www.car-radio.com in richmond VA they told me around $200 with a 1 yr 12,000 mile warranty

I'm afraid to go near the ford dealer ... can you buy the new speedo unit ??

I have 3 clusters and none of the damn odometers work
IIRC, I paid $200 for a brand new, 140 speedometer from Ford. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ZackG said:
www.greenleafauto.com you should be able to find a used speedo for under $40

Ya I can get a used speedo no problem also from www.car-part.com but how long is it going to last ??

If I get one from Ford do I have to put an odometer sticker on the car saying TMU or something?

whats the part # from Ford and is there a hookup at a Ford dealer to get a discount?

PS Greenleaf is too faraway if there is a problem

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
one was in the trunk when I got the car
the second is the one in the dash now (has 89,000 miles on it)
the third I took out of a car I parted out that had 110,000 on it

Is the SHO one a direct bolt in?

Greenleaf's search tells me ... error cant find website

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
ZackG said:
well typically odometers dont go bad.
EEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH... WRONG! MN12 odometers are natorious for failing.

The cheapest place to buy the gears, is www.odometergears.com (like pnyklr said). It isn't tough at all, to replace the gear. Just try it on one of those spares, and you are in business. The hardest part, I thought, was removing the dang needle.

-Kornhaus

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
ive never talked to anyone personally who had one fail. and yes the SHO is 99% a drop in, you just have to get a razor blade and cut away a small piece of plastic either from the speedo housing or the guage cluster housing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do you normally need both gears or just one? If you need both it looks like it would be the same price at either place. Just asking because mine is broke as well.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
bueller416 said:
Do you normally need both gears or just one? If you need both it looks like it would be the same price at either place. Just asking because mine is broke as well.
On mine it was the smaller gear that is shown in the pic from pnyklr's post.
I have 2 speedometers and the big gear is good on both. I just replaced the smaller gear on one of them to put in the car. Unfortunately, the only way to find out is to tear into it and see if you need one or both.

Rob

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I really wish I could help all of you. But with me selling my car, I would have no way of testing them, correctly, and calibrating the MPH.

Maybe one day I will buy another bird, and I will be able to repair clusters again. Stranger things have happened! : )

-Kornhaus

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I called one of the places they quoted me $190 with a 1 year warranty and shipping both ways included they are also going to send me a box with bubble wrap to ship them the package

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
pnyklr said:
I called one of the places they quoted me $190 with a 1 year warranty and shipping both ways included they are also going to send me a box with bubble wrap to ship them the package
That is still a little expensive, in my book. But I don't see another alternate.

If you go with them, let me know what the outcome is.

-Kornhaus

1 - 20 of 21 Posts