TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently noticed that I get this anonying sound when crusing at low RPMs. I'm almost positive that it's a loose heat shield because this same thing happened on another ford I owned and it sounds that same. I looked under the car and chouldn't locate the damn shield for the life of me. A buddy of mine told me that it might be in the exaust system and that I might have to take it apart :( . So my question to you guys is where is the heat shield located and what do I need to do to get at it and fix it. I'm assuming all I need are some screws or what not, but if anyone has done this before I'd love to hear what you have to say.

·
Administrator
8,695 Posts
Do this when the engine is cold!

Find your convertors which are located a short distance from the exhaust manifolds. The heat shields you are referring to are attached to them. The shields are welded to the cats, and over the course of time the welds may break loose or the shields may just rot away. Check to see if any are loose. I take the shields off if this happens, unless you want to get them fixed.

Joe

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Do this when the engine is cold!

Rodeo Joe said:
Find your convertors which are located a short distance from the exhaust manifolds. The heat shields you are referring to are attached to them. The shields are welded to the cats, and over the course of time the welds may break loose or the shields may just rot away. Check to see if any are loose. I take the shields off if this happens, unless you want to get them fixed.

Joe
So I don't have to take apart the exhaust? I like you plan to get get rid on them, but don't they need to be on there for somthing? I mean if there on there you'd think they'd be important :confused:

·
Administrator
8,695 Posts
No, you don't need to take the exhaust system apart. The convertor will be fine without it. You can do what Beirut said and have a shop weld it back on or just take it off.

Joe

·
Registered
933 Posts
i'm having that problem too
almost thought it was my alt but then realized it was a resonance not a grind
i couldn't find anything loose at all. I check the shields, hit it with a stick (brothers doing), couldn't find anything loose
oh well, the manifolds are coming off this winter for porting so ill be gutting the cats out too then and might find something;)

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
If you find the shield that's rattling, just buy a big (BIG) hose clamp and tighten it down around the cat and shield. Kinda crude but does the job.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts