TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A replacement for the stock "rag" joint that provides header clearance and improved steering "feel".

Kits contain a stainless steel Flaming River joint, assembled with a machined stainless steel piece of DD shaft, and an A4 stainless steel button head bolt.

$140 Shipped via USPS Priority (US Only)

More pictures and ordering info HERE.

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
what does the steering shaft mod do for you?
what doesnt it do? gives you at least 10hp at the crank this has of course been verified via dyno tuning

I have done this mod myself and the best part is the quicker response of the wheel, there is a slight increase in vibration but its nothing I would complain about. If you need to take many turns quickly this is a must have mod.

·
Registered
517 Posts
i was asking about what the steering shaft mod does. not the single part that is listed in the original posting. if you look at the one in the pic it is different. i was mainly wondering if this would give you more room for headers. perhaps some mustang headers cuz i know they will not fit with the stock steering assembly

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
i was asking about what the steering shaft mod does. not the single part that is listed in the original posting. if you look at the one in the pic it is different. i was mainly wondering if this would give you more room for headers. perhaps some mustang headers cuz i know they will not fit with the stock steering assembly
you nailed it.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
so would you say it was worth it for the time and effort?
depends.....on a car that will never see over 300 HP, not worth it.
If its something that you're building for some power, and are looking for every last ounce of power, then yeah, go for it.

Now, I'm not entirely sure if this will work for the 4.6L and mustnag headers....but it does work for the 302/351 crowd that wants to use mustang headers.

someone chime in here, will the steering mod work for the 4.6L with mustang headers?

·
Banned
198 Posts
Will It Do The Same For The V6,s

3.8,S SC & N/A ????:confused:

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
I need to do this ASAP...I am having weird steering issues, kind of a click I can hear when turning the wheel, that click I can also feel, like a detent...I am thinking the stock rag joint might be done, this would be a good upgrade...looks like there are also a few bearings inside the steering column, I guess those probably could be a problem as well.

How difficult is the install on this? Is this a simple hand tool bolt on kinda deal? Looks that way...not looking to do a steering shaft mod/relocation or anything like that, just want to make the car a bit safer.

·
pendejo
430 Posts
Mine was a simple hand tool bolt on... It did though take me about five tries / test drives to get the steering wheel back to center after the initial install. It was only off by one spline and It was just so easy to accidentally turn it two.
Your mileage may vary...

Very happy with mine, I had bought it for the Cougar and it looked beautiful on a display shelf before going on the Lincoln.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Does the steering "feel" any different? Does the car behave differently? Is there added vibration that can be felt in the steering wheel?

·
pendejo
430 Posts
No noticeable increase in vibration, I was worried about that and it delayed my install on the Lincoln. On the Mark VIII with the softer rag joint I noticed a difference. It feels like there's a little less gap in the steering during quick maneuvers.

My rag joint on the Lincoln was in fairly good shape. I had the SS joint left over from my Cougar. If yours is worn out you should notice a difference.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The difficulty during installaton is directly related to the amount of corrosion on your car. If the steering shaft will compress and the rag joint isn't rusted to the shaft, then it's a 15 mintue job after you get the car on ramps or a lift. However, I've had cars where I've had to completely remove the steering shaft in order to install a new joint.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts