TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Isn't a 1997 Thunderbird equipped with a flash-to-pass feature whereby you pull the multi-function switch lever back towards yourself to momentarily flash your bright lights to, say, alert someone at night that you're about to pass them?

I replaced the OE multi-function switch on my '97 T-Bird a few weeks ago with a brand-new one made by Wells, and it doesn't turn on the high-beams when I pull it back (the OE one didn't do that, either). The brights function normally if you push the lever away from yourself (towards the dash). I'm just wondering if something isn't working right?

Dennis

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,670 Posts
In every MN12 that I've owned (4 I believe) they have all done that. I had to replace the MFS in the 96 I had, but I picked up a used Ford unit.

-Melon

·
Super Moderator
9,255 Posts
Check the cigarette lighter fuse. Mine blew on me a while back and I experienced the same symptoms you're describing. Dunno how the two are related, but replacing that fuse cured the problem.

·
Super Moderator
10,590 Posts
Take your old switch apart; there's nothing wrong with it but corroded contacts.

Fine sandpaper, new grease, and it will last another 12 years.

I posted instructions on how to take it apart, fix it, and put it back together sometime last year.

Fix the old one, take the other one back.

:D

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check the cigarette lighter fuse. Mine blew on me a while back and I experienced the same symptoms you're describing. Dunno how the two are related, but replacing that fuse cured the problem.
Brandon, thank you! I went out and checked that fuse and, sure enough, it's blown! I don't have another 20 amp fuse lying around but I'll get one tomorrow. I'm sure that's probably the problem since the flash-to-pass feature didn't work with TWO switches and since you had the same problem that was fixed with a new fuse.

Take your old switch apart; there's nothing wrong with it but corroded contacts.

Fine sandpaper, new grease, and it will last another 12 years.

I posted instructions on how to take it apart, fix it, and put it back together sometime last year.

Fix the old one, take the other one back.

:D
See theterminator93's post and my response above.

Thanks for your suggestion and I'm sure it's quite good for getting more life out of a multi-function switch that is just experiencing electrical issues, but mine was working fine electrically. I replaced it because it was 12 years old and was physically worn; the lever felt kind of loose and sloppy when using it. The new switch is very tight and solid feeling, plus it looks new!

Dennis

·
Banned
754 Posts
what I don't like about this is that when you pull it back towards you, it activates both filaments in the bulbs, but when you flip it forward to turn high beams on, it shuts off one filament and turns on the second......high beams aren't really any brighter, just a wider pattern it seems.

·
Super Moderator
9,255 Posts
Stock hi-beams are 65W and are focused slightly higher than normal beams, which are 55W.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
what I don't like about this is that when you pull it back towards you, it activates both filaments in the bulbs, but when you flip it forward to turn high beams on, it shuts off one filament and turns on the second......high beams aren't really any brighter, just a wider pattern it seems.
hot-wire them SOB's :cool:

·
Registered
290 Posts
In every MN12 that I've owned (4 I believe) they have all done that. I had to replace the MFS in the 96 I had, but I picked up a used Ford unit.

-Melon
Not to hijack the thread but my 95 does the same thing and I put 3 oem MFS' in that I got out of salvage yards and they all do the same thing AND my cigarette lighter doesn't work, so I'll be checking that tomorrow!

Mike

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I replaced my burned-out cigarette lighter fuse today and my flash-to-pass feature works perfectly now!! Thanks for the suggestion, Brandon!

Come to think of it, that's probably why the light for the cigarette lighter/ashtray never worked! Duh!!

Dennis

·
Registered
641 Posts
Hmm I need to do that as well since my GPS works off of the constant hot in the Cig lighter.

·
Super Moderator
10,590 Posts
Sure enough, theterminator93 hit it exactly.

The dark blue/orange wire to contact 7 is the circuit.

(Mine both worked after I cleaned the contacts, also that wasn't my primary problem; my brake lights didn't work at all. They go thru the emergency flasher/blinker circuit. :) )

From my fixing car stereo days, the cigarette lighter usually blows because ashes and crap fall down in there, as well as loose change... Hit it with a vacuum before you throw a fuse in there, unless you have more than one. :D

Good info!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts