TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My headlights flash. They flash for no reason, both of them, so it's not a problem with just headlight bulbs. It's like they turn on and off. Even when my stereo is off.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
it's your multi-function switch, it has the turn signals on it, etc.

I recomend a competition limited harness. it will work with the stock wiring, but you will not, EVER fry your MFS again. Plus you can run much better bulbs without worry. you may or may not have to buy a new MFS, depends how badly your current one got damaged.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man. How much would that cost, and where can I get it?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Mine flicker also, and due to some extreme cases, I have found a way to safely get home without having to sleep where you are until day (if you are caught out at night). If you take your regular light bulbs, cut the leader line of plastic inside on the bottom of the connector, place it in the High Beams position, electrical tape them in so they do not fall out, pull the MFS back towards you, your lights will not flicker. But you have to keep holding it or else they will flicker. I plan on fixing my lights this week after I clean up my power windw motor gears, put in a new relay for my e-fan. Blah blah blah, it never ends with these cars.

·
Registered
84 Posts
my headlight flash too.
i bought a new battery and it kind of helped a little bit.
do you think some thing might be wrong with my alternator?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have had the same problem in the past with my 93, it will only do it with the fog lights on. which caused the mfs to overheat causing headlights to flicker, also I noticed if you have an aftermarket headlight switch, that they cant handle the power of aftermarket hi power headlights,and cause the same problem. but since I put a factory piece back in and wired the foglights with a seperate relay and its own power source I havent had a problem...

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
:) I do not have foglights. I am going to see if I can get a replacement MFS switch this week from the scrap yard.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How do you get the foglights to come on? I see them down there, but have never been able to get them to turn on!

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where can I get a m.f.s. that won't mess up soon? I have driving lights currently hooked up to my headlights, to come on at same time. I also have 80/100 wt blue headlights from Matrix. I'm gonna get some white driving lights from Wal-Mart, they have a remote to them, so I won't even have a switch to mess with.

www.cardomain.com/id/93cougarxr7se

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I'm pretty sure it's the thing on the steering wheel.

I was wondering, how could it wear out? I was thinking, if it was a relay, how could it make the headlights go on and off? The idea of a headlight switch being bad is a good idea, since it's happened since I took off my dash, but I also got some bright headlights and figured it might have a short or something. It did start happening a couple days after removing my dash, I remember driving with a girl, had to replace dash for the time being, and was driving down the road. The lights went off, and she saw it too. They just went of and on a couple times, but it was easy to notice since I was driving down a poorly lit road, and it was in front of a hot girl, so I was kinda embarassed, like when my a/c didn't work on a hot day when I was on a date.

So, my thesis is: it might be the headlight switch. If anyone has an idea on how to fix this, or whether this could be true, hit me back.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also, tonight, my dash lights were off when I had the headlights on, and when I had it in the middle, position between the headlights and parking lights, they would come on, but that's the only line. I think it could be the switch.

I need some one to reply soon.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I believe it is the switch, also. I've been to busy to go about getting a replacement the past two weeks, so it is coming up pretty soon.

·
Registered
81 Posts
On my 93, I had that problem with the headlights flickering on and off when I was using the foglights. Just to let you all know, that's a problem thats covered by a recall. I went to the ford dealership and they fixed it for free... took about 45 minutes

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mine wasn't recalled, but I got a fuel line, or something, recall fixed though. I took off my foglights from being hooked up to the headlights, and got some white remote headlights that look tight, and they don't flash anymore. The headlight/pk.lights don't come on though, I have to set the switch in the middle to get them on. Any ideas? Bad switch? It's not the mfs, is it?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts