TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i just got finished installing PI cams. My car feels really good until about 3500 then it just seems to stop making power.... I have a really open art exhaust no cats kooks headers and flows on the rear. My intake is a 99 gt intake tube with a 80 mm lightning mass air sensor K&N filter....But i have a stock T/B and stock plenum and a stock intake manifold! My tune was set for a single exhaust and 3.27's ( i currently have 4.10's) So first off i know i need a tune really bad.....but is it possible that with all the good exhaust flow and pi cams and good intake that my stock NPI intake manifold and maybe the plenum are maxed out as far as flowing any better on a N/A motor? If it definetly is then i will be ordering one soon.....as well as a reburn.....what do you guys think?

-Derrick-

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I'd expect the power to flat line closer to 4000, but with your mods maybe it feels sooner. I'd start looking into a PI intake... anything is better than OEM.

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
I agree with the others, pi intake should be next on the list. its pretty cheap and easy to do too.

Frank

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
A tune will help. If you haven't adjusted the tune since the 4.10's and cams went in, you need to... You're sig says "custom burned Ford chip".. I'm not sure what you mean by that... If it's a recent generation SCT style chip, send it to Apten or Reinhart for a re-burn.. If it's not a recent SCT style chip, I recommend one, or the flasher, so you can update files as you add mods...

Watch your tach. If it is still climbing at about the same rate after 3500 rpm, but the car is not accelerating, it could be that the TC is not locking up. A slipping TC will "feel" the same as wheezing out.... I was able ultimately to get my '96 to pull until 5200 (pnp heads, compcams, etc), but the TC was slipping, and at the 1/8 mi, the engine was still taching up, but the car was not accelerating.. I still managed 13.7's but should have been 3 or 4 tenths faster... I was essentially "coasting" the last half of the track...

You want the chip to lock up the TC immediately at the 1-2 and 2-3 shift with a very aggressive lockup rate... tell whoever you get to burn your chip, that's what you want... that's the way the SCT chips are normally burned, but occasionally when you add mods, like new gears, it loses that program and needs to be re-burned...

Wheezing out at 3500 is a bit early, so I think there is a tuning issue. I'd have to do a search, but I think JL was wheezing at around 4000-4200 with PI cams and stock intake/heads. Even after a tune with unported heads,and stock intake, the best you'll get is around 4200-4600 before wheeze time... If your goal is solid 13's or better, you'll need to swap intakes at the very least...

But check that TC issue... you can add cams, heads, intake, blower, whatever and if your TC is not locking up, you're adding time to your 1/4 mi runs...

-mike

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
If he hasnt had a reburn on that chip, then it's a gen 1 "J" chip...

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just talked to Jack K and he informed me that chip in there is an inject tech chip so I guess a nice new SCT tune would be in order. Also now that you mention the T/C not locking up. I have been feeling what I thought was a really nasty miss under load and WOT. I thought it was a miss because I have the FRPP wires and from what I have heard been known to not last more then a year. So I guess get a PI intake and a nice tune and go from there.

-Derrick-

1 - 9 of 9 Posts