TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
i'm sure it hurts it.........if its used to hard driving its not as bad as if it was a little old ladies church/grocery car...........just drive it like you stole it and replace parts as needed lol!!!

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Depends if it's from a roll or stop I would think. If it's from idle/stop, then you're putting a huge load on all the rotating assembly, valvetrain, and drivetrain. Not to mention motor mounts, trans. mounts, etc... I would think over time it would wear these parts out faster than if you were gentle with it.

Put it this way, my 84 Vic has a 5.0 in it and has 377,xxx on it and I get on it pretty hard from time to time and it has NEVER had any major engine component replaced (bearings, crank, cam, etc..) and the heads have never even been off since the factory built it. The only thing I hear is some rocker/lifter noise when it's cold out. Once it warms up it goes away and my full hot in-gear idle oil pressure sits at about 18-20psi depending on the age of the oil. At highway speeds in OD at 65mph, it pushes 40psi. Not sure what the stock specs are for oil pressure, but I can't complain.

I think it all comes down to maintenance. If you drive it hard often and don't change the oil and maintain the vehicle, then you will see increased wear that could shorten the life of the car as a whole.

Jay

·
Registered
600 Posts
FordMan77 said:
Depends if it's from a roll or stop I would think. If it's from idle/stop, then you're putting a huge load on all the rotating assembly, valvetrain, and drivetrain. Not to mention motor mounts, trans. mounts, etc... I would think over time it would wear these parts out faster than if you were gentle with it.

Put it this way, my 84 Vic has a 5.0 in it and has 377,xxx on it and I get on it pretty hard from time to time and it has NEVER had any major engine component replaced (bearings, crank, cam, etc..) and the heads have never even been off since the factory built it. The only thing I hear is some rocker/lifter noise when it's cold out. Once it warms up it goes away and my full hot in-gear idle oil pressure sits at about 18-20psi depending on the age of the oil. At highway speeds in OD at 65mph, it pushes 40psi. Not sure what the stock specs are for oil pressure, but I can't complain.

I think it all comes down to maintenance. If you drive it hard often and don't change the oil and maintain the vehicle, then you will see increased wear that could shorten the life of the car as a whole.

Jay

:zwthstpd: Also it hurts your gas mileage

Aggressive driving (speeding, rapid acceleration and braking) wastes gas. It can lower your gas mileage by 33 percent at highway speeds and by 5 percent around town. Sensible driving is also safer for you and others, so you may save more than gas money
That was taken from this site.....http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/driveHabits.shtml

·
Registered
255 Posts
Id say the motor mounts usally tear ecspeacally if the car is old but its also is good idea to do it every once in a while because it cleans out the internals of the motor whitch means you will maintian horsepower throughout the years... correct me if im wrong

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
i dunno, i replace a lot of stuff on my car, but so far i've been able to avoid internals and even the head gaskets (knock on wood). but i change all my fluids/filters religiously, and seafoam it everytime i do the oil. the key is preventative maintance.

·
Registered
255 Posts
The Stevinator said:
oh i forgot to mention, im coming up on 300k miles on the stock block. woohoo
are there any parts you havent replaced yet?;)

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
its a joke in the texas forum, because i seriously have a harder time remembering what on my car actually came from the factory, you name it, i've probably replaced it, or it's been replaced. the motor was rebuilt from the previous owner.

·
5,650 Posts
Maxion$Mulla$ said:
Id say the motor mounts usally tear ecspeacally if the car is old but its also is good idea to do it every once in a while because it cleans out the internals of the motor whitch means you will maintian horsepower throughout the years... correct me if im wrong
How exactly does it clean out the internals of the motor?

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
He's referring to it blowing out excessive carbon build up that accumulates during easy driving... if you've ever seen an otherwise clean running car suddenly belch a cloud of black exhaust under hard acceleration it was probably carbon build up being knocked loose and scavenged out of the cylinders. If it gets bad enough it can raise the compression ratio of the cylinder and result in pinging.

typically driving like a little old lady and making lots of short trips will contribute to carbon build up. I've done the water thing in the past but I'd just try treating it with a can of seafoam these days.

http://www.hotrodder.com/kwkride/tech.html

The best way to clean carbon build-up out of your engine is NOT to take the car out and run it as hard as you can. This only results in meetings with local law enforcement personnel, and doesn't do much for cleaning out carbon.
If you really want to clean the carbon out of your engine follow these simple steps. Fill an empty soda bottle with water. Remove your air cleaner. Start your engine. While using one hand to control the throttle, trickle the water into the carb or throttle body with the other while holding your thumb over the bottle opening. Keep the engine rpm's up so that the engine doesn't die. Make sure that you don't pour the water in too fast! Water doesn't compress and if you pour too much water in, severe engine damage can result! White smoke from the exhaust is normal. If you have a port fuel injected car, you obviously won't be able to use this method, but I have had success with connecting a vacuum hose to a port at the base of the throttle body and sticking the other end of the hose into the bottle of water. The vacuum of the engine will suck the water in, creating the same effect. This will clean out even the most stubborn carbon, by 'steam cleaning' your cylinders.
also http://autos.yahoo.com/maintain/repairqa/engine/ques058_1.html

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Well depending on what motor you've got, flooring it can cause premature wear to your rear tires. :D

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Bigiron383 said:
I floored it on the way home this summer, blew the A/C compressor.:mad:
well see, the theory of it cleaning things out works for this then...

It cleaned out your wallet to buy a new compressor, and since the compressor is now new it is clean as well, inside and out :D

Jay

·
Super Moderator
10,578 Posts
That's how I broke the original manifold on the Black Cougar...

5000 RPM shifts on my favorite curvy road coming home from work; looked in the rearview, and it was whiteout conditions, both lanes, behind me! :D

Fun, with a $300 repair bill...

I try to be a little more gentle now, but I still hit the rev limiter and the speed limiter everyday... Got to make sure they still work, right?

·
Registered
105 Posts
well, I don't think that I would EVER put water into my engine. NO WAY!!!!!! I may suck some up from time to time w/ my CAI, but not pouring it in. You wanna talk about premature wear......

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Well you don't POUR it in more like dribble it... a far better idea might be to use a misting spray bottle instead and keep the rpms up while doing it but don't go crazy on the rpms.

I know it may sound crazy to you but it's a well known and used technique for removing carbon buildup and mechanics far more knowedgable then you or I do it all the time. I learned it from my brother who was an ASE certified mechanic at the time and a pretty damned good one at that.

Besides the obvious potential of some bonehead who doesn't know what he's doing accidently hydrolically locking the engine I'm curious what premature engine wear you think this is going to do to a running engine? Were talking about a small amount of water being sucked in the intake, flashed to steam in the combustion chamber and blown out the exhaust that's all.

At any rate not cleaning carbon buildup out and letting a 4.6l with no knock sensor ping it's heart out is going to cause a lot more engine damage then misting some water in the intake. otoh if were talking about the 3.8l it's probably best to just let it ping itself to death and junk it asap. lol

Besides on the 3.8's that carbon buildup might be the only thing still keeping your head gaskets from blowing out. Talk about premature engine wear. :D

Oh and btw if you’re occasionally slurping uncontrolled amounts water up you CAI that’s a far more crazy dangerous situation then dribbling a little water down the intake or sucking it up through a vacuum line in a controlled fashion. WHY YOU DO THAT!???

1 - 20 of 27 Posts