TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do flowmaster mufflers need time do break in? i just put a set of original 40 series on, and can only notice a slight difference over the dynomax i had on there. i thought that they would be louder.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Mine has gotten a lil louder since I had it put on...

Ive heard (dont know for sure) that they have an oily surface on the inside and when that burns out they get louder. Sounds kinda strange, but i dont know...

·
8,239 Posts
yeah you will notice they are broken in when they rust out in exactly 9 months, and you don't ever drive the car in snow.

:thumbsdown: The dynomax is a much better muffler and has a lifetime guarantee on it.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
My flowmaster is on its 3rd salty winter now, still looking great (just a bit of surface rust). The dynomax superturbos on my truck fell apart on there 3rd winter. (the inlet/outlet tubes rust off the main muffler.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I love my flowmasters and have had them for 2 years with minimal rust. In my opinion the flowmasters have much better sound then the dynomax and thus are worth the lesser durability if tone is an issue.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
My Dynomax Turbo Mufflers rusted out too.. the weld went, so I did what I shoulda did a long time ago and replaced them with Flowmaster 40 series delta-flow muffs. I LOVE the sound... and paint them with high temp paint to prevent them from rusting.

Yes, they need to break in.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
They will rust out if you do alot of short in-town drives. The exhaust doesn't get hot enough to evaporate the water in the exhaust. I have had my 50s for over a year (lots o highway driving....love them and the sound). My dad had a 50 for less than a year and it was rusted in alot of places, he did mainly short in-town trips though.
-Rob

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Rob said:
They will rust out if you do alot of short in-town drives. The exhaust doesn't get hot enough to evaporate the water in the exhaust. I have had my 50s for over a year (lots o highway driving....love them and the sound). My dad had a 50 for less than a year and it was rusted in alot of places, he did mainly short in-town trips though.
-Rob
yep, and it also depends on where you mount them. on both mn12s ive had, the flowmaster was mounted midbody, and no problems(gets pretty warm). Most of the people with problems have them mounted in the rear, where it hardly ever gets hot.

·
Heavily Medicated Crime Fighter
2,073 Posts
Rusted out in nine months??? My system has been on my car for 9 years now. Granted I don't drive the car much but all I do is wire brush the mufflers and give them a coat of heat paint once a year and they still look like new. I thought the case metal on the flows were thicker than the Dynomax units.

Mark

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
One word for all you rust haters.........Stainless Steel, spend the extra money at the beginning and save it later, you'll never have to replace them.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
weswing04 said:

nice.... but do you have some sort of a crossover tube? or do the 5.0's not need them...
No I don't.. but it could definitely benefit with an X pipe. That comes soon. :D

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
I was going to have my X-pipe put in soon, but the Cougar is sold as of next month, the guy just needs a little time to get some more money together, and then we'll see what the next project will be.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Rich95XR7 said:
I was going to have my X-pipe put in soon, but the Cougar is sold as of next month, the guy just needs a little time to get some more money together, and then we'll see what the next project will be.
Want to sell it? What kind of pipe is it?

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
Somebody please explain the theory of how an all metal construction muffler needing time to "break in".
I'd really like to hear it..
JL

1 - 20 of 21 Posts