TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would this system work on the 96 4.6? it says its for 92-96 5.0 (and 3.8) but the 95 and 96's have the 4.6(and i think the 94).

on most cars i absolutly hate the sound of flowmasters, but a guy i met 2 days ago had flows on his car(not sure if it was this cat-back or not) with all the cats and resonator still intact and it actually sounded pretty nice. might be the only time you will hear me say flowmasters sound nice.

any helpful info is appreciated.

·
5,650 Posts
As long as it is 92+ it will work. Flowmaster doesn't have their site info correct. The resonator is an optional item on the 4.6L and will replace the third cat.

I have the system and am very happy with it, but you are definitely going to want to change the turn downs exiting the muffler. The ones they have are horrible looking.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol..we have the same t bird basicly. mines the same color and same year. just not a 4.6 swap.

what length and diameter were the tips you used...and did you weld or clamp them on?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pegToA4Em0s

yours doesnt sound like this does it? the one i heard didnt and he had headers, but this one has all the cats and resonator removed. (im pretty sure this is a members car here, i recognize the car)

no offense but i dont like the way that sounds. it should change a bit with keeping the cats and resonator right?...give it more of a growl/rumble than all the raspy and crackly. even though flowbastards are naturally raspy and crackly

·
Registered
956 Posts
Yeah that's my car. I have since removed that setup. It sounds 10x worse in real life than in that video. LOL. I'm going to add cats and/or a resonator and try it again soon. I will be putting that same setup on a stock 95 Bird with all three cats this weekend. I can post a video of it if you like.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah that would be great if you could post a video. how hard/easy is it to install...it doesnt seem like it should be that difficult.

when you took the system off did you just put the stock cat-back back on?

·
Banned
377 Posts
Yes that's the same kit. The only picture I have is this:

Since this was taken I've removed the body kit and put polished tips exiting straight out.
car looks great man...im kinna jones'n for a body kit now.

·
Registered
956 Posts
yeah that would be great if you could post a video. how hard/easy is it to install...it doesnt seem like it should be that difficult.

when you took the system off did you just put the stock cat-back back on?
It's just two bolts at the center flange and then three rubber hangers. Very easy. Yeah, I put a stock rear half back on the car (from a '92 5.0). That rattle sound is still there but it's quieter. That's one side affect of going catless. Unless you have the right mufflers, it'll sound like ass. Catless with stock mufflers doesn't sound good at all is is very annoying. That's what I get for being a cheap-ass though. Unfortunately, the Flowmasters don't sound good catless either.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah ive never heard flowmaster sound good without cats. unless its on like a old muscle car. and even then they still sound kind of bad.

how long did it take to get the system after you ordered it?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
damn you...lucky bastard!

20 bucks for somethin that costs 400 bucks....i wish my luck was that good...and the t birds ive seen at yards dont even have exhaust systems on them anymore

·
Registered
294 Posts
FYI, I've had two different catbacks. I'm partial to the Dynomax catback kit for visual- and sound-related reasons, but mine rusted out after 5 years of mostly southern (GA and TN) driving. The Flowmaster kit I have on it now was free.

According to all the literature I've ever seen, in both parts catalogs and Flowmasters stuff, the resonator that was mentioned in an earlier post is for V-6's. It's not intended to replace the third cat or even the factory resonator that was used on the 5.0's and the 94-95 4.6. 2" inlets, and one 2.5" outlet. Has anyone tried to put it on a V-8 headpipe? It attaches to the catback, and I can't imagine why the headpipes wouldn't line up on either V-6 or V-8 cars.

The Flowmaster kit elimates the factory resonator on the 5.0's and the 94-95 4.6's. Dynomax's kit attaches at the back of the factory resonator or the pipe Ford installed on the 96-97's.

Anyway, the best thing you can do with a Flowmaster catback (once you are set on using it) is to paint it with some decent hi-temp paint. Black hides the system's visual issues pretty well. On my 97, I painted mine black when I installed it 4 years ago, and it still looks good (no visible external rust). The Flowmaster kit I put on my 92 Sport (back in 1993) looked terrible after about 6 months of use, with rust and dark spots all over it.

The goofy muffler outlet turndowns and the odd muffler angles aren't as noticeable with a SC rear bumper or a 96-97 rear bumper. "Straight", "plumb", and "level" just aren't in Flowmaster's vocabulary.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
what hi temp pain would you reccomend using.

im not set on the flowmaters yet, im going to wait for mikemelancholic to post the video of his install first, even though i heard it on a 95 before, but i just want to be sure it will sound the way i think it will.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts