TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, Until I have money to do a FULL exhaust (I have to pass emissions every other year so i need something that i can take off or manipulate easy. But heres my question. Until i go for the real performance side of things Im thinking of a cheap setup and want some feedback on how it will sound and whatnot.

I know one of the biggest sound killers in these cars is the 3rd cat. My Idea is to replace the 3rd cat with a 3" in, and dual 2.5" out (Will have to fab some adapters unless i can find 2.25 in dual 2.25 out stock pipe size right) And then run no mufflers in the back. I want the LOUDEST and MEANEST possible for the lowest price, but also without drastically hurting (lower hp/tq will be good in a way, i drive to fast as it is :D) hp/tq numbers, or more importantly the engine. Im trying to learn as much as I can about these engines (Only been here for a lil bit, former jeep guy) and I just want to make sure the lack of backpressure wont hurt the engine like it hurt the jeep 4.0L engine (great engine but needed the backpressure to run properly and effectively)

So thats my plan. Stock pipes to a big loud flowmaster super 40, and out, no more mufflers.

Should I do it? And what kind of sound ect can i expect from it?

I will be going to true duals later down the road once my sisters fiancee gets all of his stuff setup in his new garage (a year or so, hes a welder by trade) but for now I just need some sound! I hate the muffled stock sound!

Thanks,

Hayden

·
Registered
488 Posts
yes you can do that, i did it to mine, i think it sounds great. i duno of a flmaster atht has 2in 2 out, but the guy i took it to cut off the 3rd cat and inmstalled my muffler, and cut it up and made it 2 in 2 out.. it may be hard for you to find someone that will do that

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now heres the question i have, On the birds like mine is it a Dual in and a single out? or is it a dual in dual out (looking for the easiest possible)? I guess I will just have to look tomorrow unless i hear otherwise on here to save me a trip under the car!

Thanks

·
Registered
488 Posts
:confused: whjat do you mean? is it 2 in from the engine to the 3rd cat? ys of cvourse it is
and then one pipe leaves the cat, then back to 2 right before it branches bak out to the mufflers

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found out about the exhaust layout, I just wasnt sure if it ran to a single pipe before the cat, and then left in 2 pipes or 1 pipe into 2. Im just confused lol but I have it all figured out now. Thanks! Also, our piping is 2.25" all the way from the manifold back correct?

Thx

·
Jedi Master
3,647 Posts
well its about 2.25 its actually like 2.20 or 2.22
there is flowmaster mufflers that are dual in, dual out
you can do a 2.25 inlet(or 2.5 if planning to mod your ride) and a dual 2.25 outlet (or 2.5) or a single 2.5 or 3"
endless possibilities

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well for now im just looking to get a mean sound for the cheapest price. I will be modifying my car later but for now im getting the looks/appearance and sound side of it started. And like i said I do have to pass emissions every other year, so if i have to change out the muffler again and reinstall the 3rd cat and mufflers i want the easiest and cheapest way possible.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
im telling you right now, cut the 3rd cat, run 2.25 piping all the way out the back at a muffler shop into NO MUFFLER AT ALL

loudest meanest setup, the stock cats keep your backpressure planted, and trust me 4.6s dont lose alot from no back pressure, i drove my friend bird, stock heads and cams, kooks, no cats, 2.5 duals no mufflers, its still got some low end, it lost alot but its not to say the tq isnt good enough

but no mufflers and just 2 stock cats is for you till you do "real" exhaust

1 - 8 of 8 Posts