TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if the resonator is really needed as it states for the V6 birds? does it make a difference in sound? im looking to really do my first mod n thats the exhaust......again lol, just need a little rumble,

·
5,650 Posts
The 3.8L without a resonator and with a Flowmaster isn't that bad sounding, but it's not great either. That's the first thing I did to my T-Bird and it was pretty quite outside, didn't sound great when revved, and droned a little in the car. Now I have the Flowmaster kit on the car and it sounds pretty good IMO. The best rumble out a 3.8L is probably going to be a custom setup with a Magnaflow muffler mid-mounted.

·
Registered
647 Posts
BAM!

If you remove the Y (3rd cat) and replace it with a di/do magnaflow and true duals out the end it will sound very close to this

http://media.putfile.com/Exhaust-finally-broken-in

That is my setup I currently have on my 3.8. I gained about an extra 1.3 MPG after the overall installation, but the performance aspect is what I mainly did it for (that and I was already installing a new tranny, so the exhaust was already completely removed)

Dual high-flow cats, di/do magnaflow w/2.25" true duals

I love the sound of it personally (the idle is the best!)

If you want part numbers just let me know and I can get em for ya.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
see the horrible thing is im use to having the 4.6, i ran jba headers, highflow cats h-pipe to two mags in the rear, sounded AMAZING, i knwo it wont get close, but i want something nice not too crazy but nice, im worried the magnaflows will make it sound too much like my mazda 6s, with a 3.0 v6. thats why i want to go with flows

·
Registered
431 Posts
I to went with the midmount magnaflow and high flow cats. I did go with a single 2.5" pipe through the tank though. I like the sound just dont get big tips that come out parallel in the back though, it makes it focus the sound inside and drone I think.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
say no to rustmasters

1 - 6 of 6 Posts