TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i was wondering about something that i think i might want to do. The other day i seen a t-bird with flowmasters(or something) that made the car grawl at idle at the stop light, then when he took off it just sounded great like an old school! Now my question was everyone on this site were talking about flowmasters make the car quieter instead of more agressive, I needed to know which kit to ask for (flowmaster, bullet,etc) when i got to the shop so i wouldnt spend unecessary money like they did to make there car queit . Also will that look or sound stupid for an COUGAR? Let me know!

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
I would suggest Dynomax Ultraflows or Magnaflow mufflers over the Flowmasters. They sound good, are less restriction, and you don't get the drone inside like you do with Flowmasters.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
When and where did you see this car and what did it look like? The guy might just be around on this site some where and if he is he would most likely post his set up for you. Then you could base your system off of that and know you would be getting teh sound you are looking for.

-Miller

·
Registered
654 Posts
THere is (2) realitivly cheap cat-back systems for your Cougar that I
would reccommend :) Had both

LOUD - Flowmaster -
Preformance gains are almost a tie w/ either system
Quiet - Dynomax -

·
Registered
89 Posts
It may have been me, but that loud growl was coming from the holes in my Flowmaster Cat-back system. Then again I have had it for almost 4 years now and you would expect rust living in Michigan.

·
Jedi Master
3,647 Posts
no it will not look or sound stupid!
I've owned three cougars
one 95 4.6 with flowmasters and it sounded great
one 91 3.8 LS no more work to that, just gonna put my XR7's exhaust on it though
one 91 XR7 with flowmaster dumped.... i love the sound and it did help my cat breathe a whole lot better

there are many other great/greater companies like mentioned above...magnaflow and dynomax

its all a matter of taste

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have the resonator removed and had 2 Flowmaster 40 series delta flows installed in place of the stock mufflers. I had a friend drive the car around a large parking lot so I could stand outside and hear it, and it sounds great!! There's a little inside drone, but not enough to bother me. I can still talk normally over it and hear my stereo over it. I see no reason why a Couger would look bad with a couple of new mufflers, spray paint them flat black so they're not noticable, or put on some tips, whichever you prefer, and I think they'd look great.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Rich95XR7 said:
I would suggest Dynomax Ultraflows or Magnaflow mufflers over the Flowmasters. They sound good, are less restriction, and you don't get the drone inside like you do with Flowmasters.
I AGREE 100% !!!!!!!!!! Had a set of FLOWMASTERS on my '97 Cougar XR7, 4.6L SOHC........souded good.........but they rusted out after 2.5 years. Put a set of DYNOMAX ULTRA FLO's on........and it sounded EVEN BETTER and gained alittle more HP. I WILL NEVER USE FLOWMASTERS AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!! OH...did I mention the DYNOMAX ULTRA FLO's (stainless) comes with a LIFETIME WARRANTY??? I think Flowmaster's have a set of stainless with a lifetime warranty too........but they are more restrictive than the Dyno Max's---I know from experience.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok thanx for your comments i will go to the shop tomorrow and try to get a good price on them. But i was wondering sense there are three cats on there would i have to get all three replace for the new system? and also which ones sound the best for a cheap price. If you guys wanna have a look at my car just copy and paste this link----------- cardomain.com/id/1994cougar

·
Registered
748 Posts
Shouldn't have to replace the cats at all to add new mufflers....of course, the more cats you remove....the louder the exhaust gets.

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
you know why it rusts out? too much salt on the road cuz of the snow..

i've had the flowmasters on since 1 month after i purchased car.. what, 3 years ago now? and i have no rust on them... then again, i did have them spraypainted

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
ss can rust as well depending on grade

iam getting the dual in n out magnaflow with tru x core to mid mount and get rid of the flows and hpipe.

then i need some longer tips...

·
Registered
178 Posts
I can deffinately tell you that Flowmasters aren't quiet (depends on what kind) cause my orig 40's are loud. I want magnaflows after hearing their cars on their website. I have no cats and tru duals and I get a rattle in the mufflers. I thought about the DynoMax but I've heard those and I don't think thats what I'm looking for right now. I just don't think Flowmasters are for MN12s. They sound good on my '93 5.0 stang but not my cougar.

Clay

·
Registered
355 Posts
Where are you from in michigan and by chance was the car a black tbird with sc gfx?

·
West Virginia Chapter Director /, MA Drag Race Te
2,643 Posts
Ive got a basically stock set-up 2-1-2 with the flowmaster cat back system and have had no problems. They have been on the car since the dynomax system I replaced on the car fell apart a couple years ago.

They are somewhat aggressive sounding, some drone in the cabin, but certainly not unbearable. Its all in preference. As far as the power thing, I can't vouch for any system in that regard.

I'll admit though, they did sound much better on my Mustangs.:)

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Personally, I think the Flowmaster 2-chamber mufflers suck. Don't get me wrong, the sound good at idle and WOT, but the 2000rpm drone will drive you nuts. If you want throaty, spend it on a higher quality muffler like Borla, or Spintech...or on a similar quality muffler like the suggested Dynomax....your sanity will thank you. Personally, I'm gonna go with 3-chamber Flows for deep and quiet. I don't need to wake up the neighbours anymore. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts