TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious as to how many of you are taking the news seriously and getting you and your family flu shots? I got mine about a month ago, and took the rest of the family in today to get theirs.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
MY youngest sister has some health issues so Ive been getting them every year for the past 13. Havnt gotten the bug since.

Whats the big issue on the flu this year? Ive been hearing a little bit about it but havnt cared enought to care alot.....

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess the total from the southern states is around 20 dead. There's a new strain of influenza this year that's killing kids, we had 6 deaths in OK from it this past week, so everyone here's getting them. Even my wife got one, and she's never had one in her 35 years of existance, it's that serious.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
i havent had a shot for anything in about 8 or 9 years, i CANNOT stand shots at all.... i dunno, but i hate shots so much nothing can scare me into getting one really... i see a needle and i cringe... ehhh... -greg

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't join the military then, I've gotten more shots in the last 11 years than most people get their whole life, and then there's the Anthrax vaccination, if you don't like shots, you'll never get another one after that one......ouch!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Flu shots work well for me. The years I've gotten them, I'm good, but at another job (read: free shots!!) I didn't get them and got sick.
I just got mine today, cuz I started another part time job at a hospital. Plenty of shots and plenty of needles and plenty of people to poke me with the needle.

Now gotta get my wife and kid shots...

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
The flu shot this year is actually a little bit weaker than it should have been considering the strength of the actual virus. I would say that you would probably pull through the flu if you are in good health. As long as the strain isn't particluarly virulent then you should be ok. It is almost always a good idea to get the flu shot each year. The only thing is that when they develop the shot they just use their best guess (albeit educated one though) as to what the virus will be. If they are wrong then you will get it (the flu) no matter if you had the shot or not.

Russell

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Rich95XR7 said:
Don't join the military then, I've gotten more shots in the last 11 years than most people get their whole life, and then there's the Anthrax vaccination, if you don't like shots, you'll never get another one after that one......ouch!!!!!!!!
*That's* for sure... Haven't had a shot since I got out. Only had the flu one time in , um, a lot of years since.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
i dont get too sick often, i only get some bad colds when the gets very cold very quickly (read: michigan weather; read: smoker).... besides that its been wuite a while since i have been pretty sick. -greg

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think it's more of a threat for children and senior citizens, and with 3 kids, if one gets it, they all get it, so the flu shot seemed like a good idea when children are dieing in my area from it. I understand that the flu shot does not mean you're not going to get it, but from experience, it does make it less severe. If you have children, and especially if you live in Colorado, Kansas, or Oklahoma, do them and yourself a favor, especially this year and go get them one.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Rich95XR7 said:
i know i may sound wierd, but i like to watch the doc shoot me up...when i got my DODMERB a few years back the SRA who took my blood used that cool little syringe, just a needle and a small capsule, not the normal civie doctor kind...Yeah, ive heard the Anthrax shot aint too fun, i had a friend in the Army..refused it because he was concerned of the health risks, back a few years ago, when it was plastered all over CNN. He was discharged for refusing to take the shot...

joseph

·
Registered
259 Posts
I never get them but i got sick on thursday last week with a bad cough, sore throat, running nose in the beginning, stuffed up nose now, head aces sometimes, swollen throat today which sucks bad, and my hearing somehow is messed up in my right ear. I got over all the bad stuff except for the hearing part, no clue why it happened i dont listen to music loud ever :\ Parents said it was my sinuses (spelling?) I think this was my first cold/flu of the year. So much flem in my chest when i cough :(

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All the rumors about the Anthrax vaccination that scared everyone were totally false. The FDA approved the vaccine in like 1975, and vets and people who work at slaughter houses have been getting them since then. It's pretty safe as far as I can tell, now don't ask me about the malaria medication that we got in Iraq though.:mad: It gave me a bunch of problems.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Rich95XR7 said:
now don't ask me about the malaria medication that we got in Iraq though.:mad: It gave me a bunch of problems.
Sorry but I've got to ask if you know what it had in it?

Russell

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not really, it was premethaquine, or something like that, don't really know, but it's better than getting malaria, I guess:zdunno:

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Yeah the drug is called mefloquine or mephaquine. It has some pretty serious side effects and has been very controversal as of late. I was just curious as to which one they had you on. It is a lot better than getting malaria, since once you have malaria it is just a never ending cycle. Mefloquine can also be used to treat malaria for like 4 days or so after exposure. Thanks for the info.

Russell

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hmmmm, would any of these be the side effects? cronic headaches, short term memory loss, aching joints???? I've also had a rash come and go since I got back.

·
Registered
484 Posts
The military love to shoot you up dont they. I allways find out about some kind of shot every time I go to the clinic. I just finished my Anthrax series, boy do those things kill my arm.
I got a flu shot this year, and Ive been sick for the last week. Nasty sick. Everyone here is getting it bad. I sent my 6 month old to grannys for a few days.....

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
they offered it at work, I turned it down. No need.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts