TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, yeah, I know!! Not another “fluctuating oil pressure gauge" question. :D

But hear me out. :leftright

A while ago I converted my sending unit from the switch style to the sending unit style. I installed the jumper behind the gauge as recommended and the gauge read too high. So I installed a 0 – 500 ohm rheostat and adjusted it to where at idle I’m on “N” and at cruise I’m on “M”. :thumbsup:

My original post: http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34586

It worked great and never had a problem until yesterday. :eek:

Twice while really getting on it (WOT and 5k rpm), my check gauge flashes for just a second and the gauge needle “hiccups”, but never falls all the way down. I wasn’t even sure the first time so I duplicated it the second time. (Then I quit that crap!!)

Oil level is fine (I had just topped it up a few days ago, but I double checked it anyway).

Now this morning, my gauge is intermittently wondering all over the place.

I’m really leaning toward the sending unit (AutoZone special :leftright ) or an electrical connection, but could use some second opinions.

Usually a WOT/high rpm oiling issue is a clogged pickup tube or slow drainback, but can anyone think of any reason for the fluctuating while cruising? Clogged filter? Failing oil pump? :2huh:

Keep in mind that I’m now at 266K miles and run MaxLive 20/50 due to the suspected excessive wear on all the internal parts. :eek:

Sorry for the novel, I just wanted to clarify that this isn’t the normal question. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Do you think it could be a problem with the rheostat? Maybe it isn't staying set where you set it like it should and as its value change, you get strange readings? Just a thought, you might try bypassing it once to see if it does anything.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
All things considered I think if it was me I'd get a real gauge on it to find out for sure, at least temporarily. If it was anything but oil pressure I'd say put another pot on there and see if that helps, especially if the one you used came out of your spare parts box and might have a little corrosion on the wiper.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the new mechanical oil pressure gauge sitting at the house that I bought specifically for this installation. I had planned on installing it temporarily and "calibrating" the stock gauge so I would know exactly what “N” and “M” are.

The pot is brand new. It’s a pretty solid potentiometer and I have it mounted so I can adjust it while driving (since I still have the dash panel off). When the gauge was moving around I adjusted the pot and it acted like it should.

The potentiometer:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=023-500

We had some pretty heavy rain yesterday so maybe there’s some corrosion on the connector.

I really don’t think I’m losing pressure (no lifter tap, bearing knock or anything), but that gauge moving like that gives me a heart attack every time it moves. :eek:

If I find anything specific I’ll post my solution.

Thanks for the replies. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
It may or may not have any bearing (no pun intended) on your situation but my fiance's 160k mile sohc v6 sludge monster Acura acted sorta the same way. It ate a cam (clogged pickup tube or passage) and got new heads and oil pump and would still flash the idiot oil light occasionally. The manual said that it was a sign of low oil pressure. When I got the gauge on there (a story in itself) I found out the pressure was about half of factory spec when the engine warmed up even with newly freshened heads and 20w50 Castrol.

I suspect it's just getting worn enough that the main and rod bearings are letting that oil flow through a bit faster, less resistance to flow = less pressure all else being equal. It's run fine for a year with the lower pressure and I don't hear any noises either, but that guage still worries me a little pointing at about 8 psi idling at a light.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well isn't this special. :mad:

I went to AutoZone today to get another sending unit (PS-60, which is what I had installed) and I was told they were recalled. :2huh:

They didn't have any particulars and I can't find anything on the net, but it didn't give me a "warm and fuzzy"... :(

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
A recall on an oil pressure sender? I think my BS meter is flickering... Maybe you should try another parts house?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts