TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get the gist of unbolting the pan and draining the fluid,but where do i refill it? through the fluid check tube? and what would be the best fluid to replace the old stuff with?

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,814 Posts
Yes refill with the check tube, Also use a name brand of fluid with mercon 5 . The chief has Wynn's in my bird .

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Ideally you want Motorcraft Mercon V, that is the best fluid.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I like the Wynn's robert gets and the Wolfshead I buy best. Both are full synthetic. Motorcraft is semi synthetic and a good choice.
Alan

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,814 Posts
Ahh Cool Alan.... My grandfather used WHs motor oil his whole life in his farm equipment and autos, I have always asked around and no one had ever heard of it , Nice to see that you have ;)

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Many & more complete Threads on this - If you are refilling it while on Car Ramps remember to NOT Refill it all the way while on Ramps ~! - Leave it at least a Quart or 2 low on Ramps - Back the car off & level it THEN Fill all the way - If you get it even ALMOST Full while on Ramps you will get a HELL of mess EVERYWHERE as it overflows out the Vent on top rear of Tranny... been there... done that... drank the red Koolaid... TRUST me you'll only screw that up ONCE~!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Many & more complete Threads on this - If you are refilling it while on Car Ramps remember to NOT Refill it all the way while on Ramps ~! - Leave it at least a Quart or 2 low on Ramps - Back the car off & level it THEN Fill all the way - If you get it even ALMOST Full while on Ramps you will get a HELL of mess EVERYWHERE as it overflows out the Vent on top rear of Tranny... been there... done that... drank the red Koolaid... TRUST me you'll only screw that up ONCE~!
im going to have a lift,how much fluid is a full pan? on level ground?

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
I like the Wynn's robert gets and the Wolfshead I buy best. Both are full synthetic. Motorcraft is semi synthetic and a good choice.
Alan
How about Castrol Mercon V? Is it decent?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
to fill the pan is 13qts? :confused: im in an automotive technology course for 11Th grade and my teacher is a ford senior master technician and he said it'd be like 6 or 7 quarts so for the pan its still 13 qts?

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
The entire transmission holds 13 qts with converter, Without droppign the valvebody or removing the filter the pan itself holds about 4.5-5 qts. If you remove the filter add at least a quart, more if it was off for a long time. If you drop the valvebody you'll drain most of the converter as well and it will take about 9-10 qts. If you drain the converter, drop the valvebody and let it drain completely you'll have 13 qts in it.
Alan

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so if i droped the pan 5 qts? would that cure my slipping when i take corners fast?

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,579 Posts
No, but upgrading to the deep sump pan and filter most likely would...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts