TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 95 bird does the slight shudder sometimes when shifting into 4th, not very often, but it does it. It has around 165,000 miles on it and I'm wondering if the old wives tale is true if I change the fluid on a high mileage car that hasn't had regular trans service, my trans will start slipping afterwards. The fluid is still red and smells normal too. I want to flush it and fill with mercon V but want to make sure it won't cause a problem.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
336 Posts
I changed mine at 136,xxx and the Mercon V actually fixed most of my problems.

Check around here in the forums, there are plenty of threads about the exact question you asked, and there are tons of answer's.

Take this thread for example. problems with late tranny fluid change?

·
Registered
875 Posts
Did it on my 95 and it worked wonders, shudder went away totally. I would also recommend the jmod while your at it.

·
Registered
799 Posts
sorry to jump in with a question, what if u've changed the fluid to mercron v and it still shudders?

·
Registered
799 Posts
jus figured i'd ask?

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
sorry to jump in with a question, what if u've changed the fluid to mercron v and it still shudders?
New torque converter, most likely.

I'd check the contamination level before putting in a new converter, tho. If you think you may be doing a transmission soon, do both at the same time, and flush the cooler very well.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had very good luck with my 94. Had about 120,000 on it and had a slight shudder. The fluid was the color of hot fudge...

The shop that does most of my work, did a complete flush, new filter, etc. It was like I put in a new transmission. Car still shifted great when it went to the scrappers because it was too rusty to pass inspection.

Brian

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you haven't gotten to it yet try SeaFoam Trans Tune. Worked wonders on my '96 LX (124K miles and fluid never changed) . I also had a slight stutter and hard shifts. Now I can't feel the trans shifting.
Red

1 - 10 of 10 Posts