TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For years I've been using castrol mercon v, valvoline mercon v, and motorcraft mercon v. Never mixing. I'm brand loyal once it's in there (as long as it works), until the fluid change (every 12k or once a year), but I'm on a synthetic kick lately.

Has anyone used Redline D4 synthetic transmission fluid in our 4r70w's with success? It's one of the few full synthetic fluids I found to actually meet mercon v standards along with wolf head, raptor blood, and mobil 1 multi ATF, but frankly I've never heard of wolfs head before, raptor blood doesn't make any claims to be synthetic but it claim to be aggressive (good or bad idk) and I dislike mobil 1. As far as I know reg. mercon v is semi synthetic, I'm just looking to prolong the life of my transmission and prevent future wear and tear.

This year a lot will be getting done, along with my motor swap I'll be adding a very large transmission cooler with spal fan, along with a b&m billet finned deep trans pan, but of course I'm skeptic of that as well. I've heard that b&m makes garbage for the 4r70w but I'm tempted by the extra cooling, extra capacity, bling, and drain plug.

My questions on the pan are:
Is the b&m deep cast aluminum pan worth it?
Can I use my ford pan gasket or am I stuck using the cork garbage?
Does the deep pan require a special filter other than the 96-97 bird filter?
Since it's flat on bottom does it suffer the same fluid starvation issues durring extreme cornering as the 94-95 flat shallow pan does?

Sorry for all of the random questions.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use Mobil 1 in my LSC, along with a deep pan from LPW. Use the Ford gasket. Standard late model filter.
Any issues with shudder with the mobil? I read on a few mustang sites that it was causing issues due to being too slippery. I also read a press release that mobil stated that they didn't recommend prolonged use in the 4r70w due to the mercon v spec since they claim it doesn't meet the newer mercon v standards. They claim it would br suitable up to 95 and to use at owners discression. Not very assuring.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Any issues with shudder with the mobil? I read on a few mustang sites that it was causing issues due to being too slippery. I also read a press release that mobil stated that they didn't recommend prolonged use in the 4r70w due to the mercon v spec since they claim it doesn't meet the newer mercon v standards. They claim it would br suitable up to 95 and to use at owners discression. Not very assuring.
None at all, in fact no issues on the street or the track.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts