TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
69 F100, 472 cu in BBF, C6 (“slightly higher than stock” stall converter), 3.50 rear end, and 31” tires.

2700 rpm cruising at 65 mph (Lordy, I need an overdrive!!!! I keep thinking, “SHIFT ALREADY!!!” :beek:).

Engine thermostat is 160 degrees and rock steady until the weather breaks 90 degrees, then it runs a littler warmer (probably in the 190 range - 200 range), which means I’m right on the borderline for the efficiency of the copper radiator. :bawling:

Anyway, here’s the temperatures I’m seeing:

Transmission:
Transmission is plumbed like this:

Except it bypasses the radiator and only has a B&M SuperCooler (Part number 70266: 28,000 GVW) as the cooler. The sensor is in the remote filter adapter which means it is on the outlet port of the transmission.

I’m seeing the following temperatures when empty (not towing)
180 to 195 w/90 deg weather
150 to 175 w/65 deg weather

Oil:
I have the exact same setup for the oil system, except using dual remote filters and the sensor is in the drain plug. The pan is enlarged and a total oil change with filters is about 10 quarts so there's plenty of oil. :D

I’m seeing the following temperatures when empty (not towing)
150 w/90 deg weather
105 to 120 w/65 deg weather

So a couple of questions:
Does the transmission temps sound a little high or about right since the sensor is plumbed on the hot side of the system? :(

And I ain't buying the engine oil running at 105 deg in 65 deg weather or only 150 deg in 90 deg weather. Maybe a bad ground?! :confused:

I'm just not that up on what is "normal" for this type of application, so any insight would be appreciated. :D

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
i would say the 160 stat is too low. You will get a ton more cylinder wear with that stat.
Have you ever ran a 190 or 180 degree stat?

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I usually run a 180 or 190, but I had been fighting a pinging problem for years with this truck so I was doing whatever I could do to lower the temps to try to prevent the pinging.

Unfortunately this beast has the D2VE open chamber heads ("considered the worst heads ever used in the 385’s") which are notorious for pinging. But now that I have the pinging fixed (it helps when you don't advance the timing to 44 deg.... http://reincarnation-automotive.com/Duraspark_distributor_recurve_instructions_index.html I had the 18L’s for a total timing advance of 44 deg with an initial of 8!!! :leftright ) I just haven’t changed it back yet.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
The temps, except oil don't seem out of line. From what I have seen these high outside temps make one heck of a difference. Depending on whether you are in traffic with air on or running down the road with the air on is also a big difference.

From what I have found on my Tbird with Cobra radiator, 40 k GVW trans cooler, aluminum pan and 180 thermostat:
Outside temp 90+ Trans temp climbs slowly until 175-185, coolant temp fairly quickly until 190-195 - get in traffic and coolant 200-205.
Outside temp 65 Trans temp may eventually get to 170, coolant temp doesn't get over 185 even in moderate traffic, of course no air at 65.

Towing is even another story, went to Guntersville in AM about 80 degrees, drove 40 miles with nothing being towed, trans temp 170 and the end and coolant 190.
Hooked up 3,500 lb boat, motor and trailer for 8 mile trip, trans temp 190 coolant 200. Car sat 3 hours while on the lake. Came back it was 97 outside, after an up ramp tow, 8 mile trip, trans temp 195, coolant temp was 217.

We are talking 8 miles!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts