TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm gonna try to put my bottom spring back in this week, maybe today. I'm running a Marauder/GT converter and a B&M plate cooler (28K IIRC). I'm just going to pull the pan (take a bath), pull the valve body and put the spring back in. Now, if memory serves me correctly, I have about 14-15 qts of tranny fluid in the car now. How much would I expect to need just to refill the trans to the proper level if I did not drain the converter and the cooler?

Edit: Also since the tech articles are down temporarily, I need some info.
What's the torque specs of the valve body bolts?
I don't remember where the 1-2 accumulator/spring "hole" is. Can someone post up the pic if you have it?

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I would buy 6 quarts of fluid that should be plenty.
The valvebody bolts I always torque to 100 inch lbs
The 1-2 accumulator is the only one you can access without removing the valvebody it is on the driver side front of the transmission.
Alan

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OH SWEET!!! I don't have to pull the valve body!!!
Thanks bigtime Alan!

·
Registered
294 Posts
CHECK YOUR LEVEL, no matter what... Better to have some leftover Mercon V than to not have enough.

If you pull your valve body, you'll siphon most of the fluid out of the converter. Three years ago, I put only 4-1/2 quarts back in mine after j-modding it (I had just drained and refilled the whole system a few months prior to that). Since the drain pan went right into a big collection tank, I didn't realize how much fluid I really lost when I dropped the valve body. After trying a test drive, I ended up having to put around 10 quarts (total) in, if I remember correctly, but the damage was already done. I had tried driving it, and like an idiot, I thought maybe there was a little air in the system that would get worked out. I ended up frying the forward clutches.

Now, $2500 and three attempts at getting a working transmission later, I have my DR transmission, that so far has given me no problems, over the past three years and about 30,000 miles.

Heres link to the thread where A-Train and others helped me figure the whole thing out. Reply #16 is where things started to make sense.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=13829

1 - 4 of 4 Posts