TCCoA Forums banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Update

I heard back from FLUIDYNE today and they indicated that they've been quite busy the past two weeks.

They promised to get back to work on custom radiators next week and will look at ours "first thing Monday".

I expect to have a price quote and other details some time early next week. I'll pass the information along as soon as I hear something.

Also: Still looking for interested buyers! The may be a one time only opportunity to get one of these - don't miss out!

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
My ultimate goal is going centrifugal and I'm having a hard time finding MN12 setups that show definite clearance between the intake tube and radiator shroud. I found a pic of CobraRThunder's 97 and he cut his shroud and was looking at a pic of RobertP's and couldn't tell if it was cut. Bottom line is if clearance isn't an issue I would be interested in stockpiling another piece to my TBird puzzle.
Does anyone else have any insite on this issue?

·
Super Moderator
11,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Here are some better pictures of RobertP's engine from 2010 ... under construction with a Trick Flow intake.

He's used a 3R33-8C607-AA Mustang Fan which is shorter. May be this will help. I'm not sure, but I believe he also has a Cobra radiator in the car.

I believe it's this one: https://www.americanmuscle.com/rad-fan-assembly-0514.html

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Here's another build with a BBK TB/Plenum.

This stock one has clearly been cut.

On a related note, I found the following about fan speeds while doing some research this morning.

97-98 fans spin the fastest.

F4SH 8C607 AA is for '94 Thunderbird/Cougar; the Mark VIII is F4LY 8C607 A.

93-96 use p/n F3LY 8C607 A @ 245.80
The 93-96 spin 1100 RPM on low and 1850 RPM on high speed.

97's use p/n F7LZ 8C607 AB @ 196.23
98's use p/n F8LZ 8C607 AA @ 140.11
The 97-98 spin 1800 RPM on low and 2225 RPM on high.

They all look the same, all come with a shroud. The 93-96 spin slower according to Ford Motorsport Tech line.

Then there's this reply:

Yeah, you've got it backwards 5L5 - The 97/98 Mark VIII fans move more CFM than the 93-96. I've personally tested them side by side.

https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/anyway-to-tell-what-year-a-mark-viii-fan-came-out-of.429799/
From another source:

Here is what I have found on the net:
2 Speed motor numbers
93-96# F3LY-8C607-A
The 93-96 spin 1100 rpms on low and 1850 on highspeed.

97# F7LZ-8C607-AB
98# F8LZ-8C607-AA
The 97-98 spin 1800 on low and 2225 on high.

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/32-heating-cooling/345085-mark-viii-fan-straight-answers-please.html

Attachments

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I recently had to replace my Fuidyne radiator with another one, and that solved my overheating issues for the last two summers. I couldn't get the car to the N in NORM yesterday on a 2-hr trip with A/C on. The temps were mild for Texas summer due to rain, but still. The Fluidyne is actually more than enough for a performance T'birdy

·
Super Moderator
11,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
If any of you guys who use Facebook want to pass the word that we're looking for interested buyers let's see if we can get the count over 10 so that we can get the group rate.

Any news Ron?
Not yet. I sent another inquiry email yesterday. I'll let you know as soon as I hear something. If I don't hear back from them today I'll call tomorrow.

I recently had to replace my Fuidyne radiator with another one, and that solved my overheating issues for the last two summers. I couldn't get the car to the N in NORM yesterday on a 2-hr trip with A/C on. The temps were mild for Texas summer due to rain, but still. The Fluidyne is actually more than enough for a performance T'birdy
Which Fluidyne radiator are you running?

·
Super Moderator
11,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
I have numbers!

Individual units would be $515 each.

A group buy of 10 or more would be $450 each.+ Shipping**

Turn around would be about two weeks.

For the Group buy we would need one point of contact, there would be no sales tax for units shipped out of state but shipping would be extra.

I told Ryan I'd get back to him on Monday.

I need serious order confirmations from interested parties at this point. If we can not get to 10 - (9 not counting myself) then the price would be the individual unit cost of $515.

·
Super Moderator
9,153 Posts
I'm still in, but I'll need a date for when I need to have payment ready. I'm in NO rush whatsoever. Just dropped $450 on a set of knives today...

·
Super Moderator
11,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
I'm still in, but I'll need a date for when I need to have payment ready. I'm in NO rush whatsoever. Just dropped $450 on a set of knives today...
Great! You can return the knives and spend your cash on something worth while ... unless, of course, they were pearl-handled, Rhinestone studded anniversary cake knives for your wife or Collectors Edition Ginsu knives! In which case I totally understand! :tongue:

I'm in Ron, just tell me where to send my money.
Great!

I think in order to simplify things Let's do this - **Please Read carefully**

Payments for $515 can be PayPal sent to [email protected] if we reach the required 10 order minimum I'll refund the difference minus shipping expenses. If we don't reach the minimum order you can pay me the shipping costs when the order is ready to ship.

Select either "Send to a Friend" in the amount of $515 or, if you want some insurance, select "Paying for an item or service" and add $15.25 to cover PayPal fees for a total of $530.25

**Please PM me your name so that I can match the payments to each of your usernames. If you select "Send to a Friend" Please PM me your mailing address so that I can get the unit to you.

**I'll take orders until Sunday, August 26 and will place the order on Monday, August 27.**

·
Super Moderator
11,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I will be looking for some sort of an upgrade- but how might this differ from the Griffin unit from SCP?

https://www.supercoupeperformance.com/griffin-high-performance-46l-aluminum-radiator-super-high-capacity-311
  1. It's most likely going to be less than the $658 SCP price - I haven't received a quote yet but I'm thinking in the $500 to $550 range, may be less if we can put a larger batch order together.
  2. It's not from SCP - Regardless of the brand, buy from the source and eliminate the middle man wherever possible.
  3. It's going to look even better than the Griffin unit.
  4. It's going to be from Race City USA - Mooresville, NC - THE home of NASCAR - not SC (Where Griffin is located)!
I honestly don't know the details, there may be little difference between the Fluidyne and the Griffin radiators. But, personally, I'm going with Fluidyne because they're a great company and because they're conveniently located to me. Also, I was actually referred to Fluidyne as the best option for a custom build by the salesman at Cold-Case radiators after discussing options with them.
How's $208 less than SCP strike you?!

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I'm quite impressed that radiators you folks can still pull together to do a group buy for parts on this car ;)
Q: Is there any standard way to compare the performance of one radiator vs another besides just a) overall dimensions (inc thickness) and b) # of rows?

Q: Also, while the 4.6L vehicles have the rad cap on the expansion tank vs the radiator body, is there any reason why a radiator with a rad cap on top could NOT be used in a 4.6L vehicle?

The reason I ask is because the Griffin does make a pretty big radiator that can fit within the confines of the tbird front end. It's only two rows but is there a way to measure heat dissipation relative to this Fluidyne unit?
Aluminum, Natural, 27.5 in. Wide, 19 in. High, 3.0 in. Thick, Each

PS. If you folks are looking for super thin fans, I've had good luck with SPAL. I have one pusher and one puller on our setup ( SPU-IX-30101504 & SPU-IX-30102048). There's a cheaper brand that claims similar or better CFMs at the same price point (Zirgo IIRC) but once you put a bit of resistance against the fan (like a radiator), it's very clear that the SPAL does a much better job displacing air. There are videos with this comparison avail as well.

·
Super Moderator
11,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I'm quite impressed that radiators you folks can still pull together to do a group buy for parts on this car ;)
Q: Is there any standard way to compare the performance of one radiator vs another besides just a) overall dimensions (inc thickness) and b) # of rows?
There's also c) the number of passes the coolant makes through the radiator.

The stock radiator is one-pass from top to bottom. The Fluidyne radiator is divided into thirds and the coolant makes three passes across the cooling elements from top-right to top-left, down to middle-left back to middle-right and finally across the bottom third.

I'm sure there's some engineering calculation to calculate the heat dissipation of various configurations under various conditions. There are many additional variables such as condition of coolant, ambient air temperature and the amount of air flow across the cooling vanes.

But, I'm no engineer. Guitar Maestro would be the one to ask but he's no longer active here.

Q: Also, while the 4.6L vehicles have the rad cap on the expansion tank vs the radiator body, is there any reason why a radiator with a rad cap on top could NOT be used in a 4.6L vehicle?

The reason I ask is because the Griffin does make a pretty big radiator that can fit within the confines of the Tbird front end. It's only two rows but is there a way to measure heat dissipation relative to this Fluidyne unit?
Aluminum, Natural, 27.5 in. Wide, 19 in. High, 3.0 in. Thick, Each

PS. If you folks are looking for super thin fans, I've had good luck with SPAL. I have one pusher and one puller on our setup ( SPU-IX-30101504 & SPU-IX-30102048). There's a cheaper brand that claims similar or better CFMs at the same price point (Zirgo IIRC) but once you put a bit of resistance against the fan (like a radiator), it's very clear that the SPAL does a much better job displacing air. There are videos with this comparison avail as well.
Thanks for the tip.

·
Super Moderator
11,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Bump.

I've received payments from Driller and Mario H. (Mario, I need your shipping address and your username here to match the payment to. Please PM me the info.) Thanks!

Three down, 7 to go! Let's get to 10 so we can all get the discounted price!

·
Super Moderator
11,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
Bump: UPDATED PRICING

I just got off the phone with Fluidyne.

• They do have a smaller-than-stock 16" SPAL fan at 1,600 CFM available for an additional $150 or
  • An HP SPAL fan that is ~ 350 CFM greater than standard for a total of ~ 1,950 CFM for an additional $197
  • Custom installed fan mounting hardware required to fit the 16" fan is an additional $85.
  • So, for an additional $235 you can get a kick ass fan pre-installed on the radiator ready to plug-and-play.
  • There's also a 185° sensor Kit available for $80. This kit would kick the fan on at 185° and off at 178°. This kit would operate independent of the car's fan regulator.
Group Pricing (10 or more) would be:

• Fan - Standard SPAL (1,600 CFM): $140 vs $150
  • Fan - HP SPAL (+350 CFM): $180 vs $197
  • Mounting Hardware: $70 vs $85
  • Fan Sensor Kit: $75 vs $80
If you'd like to add any of these items please let me know and send PayPal payment to [email protected] - *Please include your address!*

***If you choose to add any of these items AND select "Paying for an item or service" please add 2.9% of the total + $0.30 to cover the PayPal fees.*** If you choose "Send to a Friend" there's no need to add the PayPal fees.

If we reach the required 10 order minimum I'll refund the difference minus shipping expenses. If we don't reach the minimum order you can pay me the shipping costs when the order is ready to ship.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
You could use one with the cap on top, as long as you never took the cap off.

On an MN-12, the radiator is the lowest of the three - radiator, engine, expansion tank. Try filling the coolant thru the t-stat hole, coolant will come puking out the upper hose outlet long before it reaches the lip where the t-stat sits.

Al

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Q: For Fluidyne's SPAL fan mounting hardware -- is it just the clips or will they also give you a fancy shroud as well?
-g

·
Super Moderator
11,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Q: For Fluidyne's SPAL fan mounting hardware -- is it just the clips or will they also give you a fancy shroud as well?
-g
Not sure. I'll ask tomorrow. He did say that the mounting hardware would have to be custom fabricated.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Not sure. I'll ask tomorrow. He did say that the mounting hardware would have to be custom fabricated.

For my Griffin radiator install, I made some mounting brackets with scrap metal that I padded with cut out chunks of my wife's old yoga mat (so it wouldn't be steel on aluminum radiator tank). Tire inner tube material would work just as well for the padding of the brackets.

For the SPAL fan mounts, I just used these clips and made brackets out of some aluminum bar stock that grabbed onto the radiator at 3 points (top, side, and bottom). This has held up quite well. https://www.ebay.com/p/SPAL-30130010-Fan-Mounting-Bracket-Set-of-4/1024990173
I can take pics if you guys want to see as I have my radiator out of the car right now (need to reinstall my engine).

PS. While you guys are going custom, one thing I did was get a $5 threaded aluminum bung and had a local pro welder (aka not me) TIG weld the bung onto the left radiator tank before the radiator outlet to engine hose. This allows me to get the most accurate coolant temp possible of whats being fed into the engine (at the top of the engine, you'll notice a temp drop if the coolant burns off and it reads air vs hot coolant. This is while the engine is cooking of course -- happened to me with engine build attempt #2). My mod takes a little time to visit a local welder + $20 for 15min of TIG welding + $5 bung. I drilled the hole at home in advance and vacuumed out the bits before bringing the radiator in.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-220070

If FluidDyne can do it for the same price/cheaper, it's worth considering since some of you folks are ticking all the boxes anyway :)

PSS. The only other customization I did to my griffin radiator (and its spare b/c I'm paranoid like that) is to replace the drain plug with a sacrificial anode. $17 from Summit
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLD-FHP32004

21 - 40 of 74 Posts