TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the flywheel/flexplate need to be installed in a certain direction? I noticed there is one hole with a slot, wasn't sure if that meant it had to go in a certain direction. I also noticed yellow ink markings on the flexplate too. Any ideas what these markings are for? Thanks.

-Leo

·
Eleventeenth Gear Poster
3,067 Posts
Yeah, its gotta go on a certain way. The six holes aren't evenly spaced, so the plate and the back of the crank have a bolt "pattern" to them. I got mine and Tim B's on just by eyeing the openings. If you just put it on there you may get lucky and get it right the first time, most likely 3 or 4 of the bolts will thread in fine and the others will not.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,
Got the flywheel on; however, I've ran into another problem. After securing the bellhousing, the TC bolts now seem to be rubbing against the front shielding. Is that related to the TC not being seated properly or is it a flywheel problem? Thanks.

-Leo

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Sounds like the converter isn't seated all the way, and pushing the flexplate forward. I had that problem once, and I couldn't turn the engine over to get to the other bolts.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The converter wasn't seated all the way. I thought it was, but it wasn't. It's in now, and no longer binding. I found a good way to check is to place the torque converter cover plate on the bell housing and seeing if the TC rubs against it. If it does, then the TC isn't seated.

Does anyone know the torque specs for the converter to flywheel nuts? Can't find it in my Haynes manual or in any of the discussions. Thanks again for the advice. Hopefully I'll be done by tonight. Let you all know how it turns out.

-Leo

1 - 5 of 5 Posts