TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think last go round my flywheel may have been cut underspec, so now I am in the market for a new one. If I have to buy a new one I'm thinking lightweight but only see them for SBF's. Are they compatible or do I need a 3.8(SC) specific flywheel?

BTW, anyone happen to know minimum thickness for the flywheel?

·
5oh Transformer
1,085 Posts
I have two used flywheels both from 89 sc's. These are the zero balance ones. You can have them for 20 plus shipping.

Zero

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After a little more reading/researching it looks like the Spec or Fidanxa steel would be the better idea, at least for me. Aluminum would be really nice but for what I'm planning to do with the car (not much) it may be a little much...not to mention the money=ouch.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Flywheel-Billet-Aluminum-Ford-351-Windsor-Special_W0QQitemZ110178804939QQihZ001QQcategoryZ33732QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem
I am not positive this is a sc flywheel, maybe a custom ring gear? The part # is the same as a sc flywheel. Quite a bargain if it's the right one.

Right now I am waiting for TMD on ebay to get a Fidanza flywheel in stock for $250.00 . Seems like everyone in the world is out of the Fidanza Part# 186511 for the V8's for about a month. Everyone stocks the smaller flywheels for the 5.0 Mustang.

Less rotating weight will really help an engine rev. The tradeoff is you might stall if you don't gas it a lil' when taking off. No more just letting out the clutch without touching the gas:(

They make lightened steel flywheels. The steel the lightened flywheels are made from is not optimal for the clutch to grab. I like the idea of a lighter aluminum flywheel with a cheap replaceable insert made from the proper grade of steel.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whoops...forgot all about this post. I decided to go with the Spec steel flywheel and stock replacement clutch (Brute Power). Finished getting the car all together last night and results are absolutely wonderful. Clutch pedal is really nice and firm, reaction is super quick so far with no signs of slippage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts