TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Screwed around alot of today trying to get my headlights working - Again.

Here's what works: daytime running lights, and high beams ONLY when the stick is pulled back. Otherwise, the lights do not work.

I've replaced the Multi-disfunction switch, and that didn't fix it, so I'm at a loss as to what to look for next.

Ideas?

·
Registered
663 Posts
I'm not sure if our birds have it or not but check into the headlight switch and/or headlight relay/fuse/circuit breaker.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, my Cat has the auto-dimmer/auto lights, but wether they're set to on or off the 'normal' lights don't work.

The headlight switch in the dash was replaced a few years ago as a recall, but the headlight relay/fuse/circuit breaker I'm not sure where to look for. Fuse/curcuit breaker being the same piece?

Where would I find that relay, and if it was broke, wouldn't it affect the DRL's and high beams?

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
There is no relay in the headlight circuit. That is why the headlight switch and the multifunction switch burn out.

On my 88, the lights were fubar'd until I turned the damned dimmer off, then the normal lights worked as they should. The highbeams were still Fubar, but the car isn't driven on deserted highways at night.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Are you running High 80/100w bulbs in your car?

If so I had the same problem and burned out all the relays and switchs in my car.
My car was doing the samething yours was doing my main lights would not come on but the driving and high beams would.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Mine is doing that now but I don't have to pull the stick back to make them work. It acts normally, as if both low beams burnt out at the same time. the high beams work, and the center "driving" lights work. Actually the center lights are good enough to use as low beams. I removed the yellow bulbs, put in clear, and moved the contact from the minor side to the major side. They look pretty bright till you turn on the super-white high beams! :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have the same problem on my 93. I wired the headlight directs so that I have have daytime running lights and when I need the brights I have to drive with one hand pulling the bright switch back as I drive...it's stupid but was a cheap fix~

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update!

After taking out the higher wattage aftermarket bulbs (superstars?) and replacing them with the factory bulbs, my problem still wasn't fixed.

But I went to the boneyard today and bought a 'new' multi-function switch, and now everything works. Again. Turns out the last replacement switch from my brother's wrecked SC didn't work - because that SC had the same problem according to my brother.

I guess adding higher wattage stuff isn't good for our Cats/Birds, so I'm just going to leave everything alone the way Ford built it, it lasted for years like that before I started monkeying with it.

Dumb car.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yup. You had the same problem as me. I whet out and got a new harness to handle the high wattage bulbs.

The new harness cost me like $30. It's a great upgrade.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Oh, so now he tells you the truth. :D I have to plead guilty to lots of those too. "Oh, right, I guess I forgot to tell you that ..."

1 - 11 of 11 Posts