TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1992 tbird sport.
Would it be hard to remove the fog lights and put some small light bars instead? Im no expert and I was just wondering if it’s possible to still use the fog light switch to allow power to the light bars but only have them actually turn on with the high beams? So that I could use my high beams without or with my light bars. If not I could just hook them up to the high beams.

·
Super Moderator
5,488 Posts
1992 tbird sport.
Would it be hard to remove the fog lights and put some small light bars instead? Im no expert and I was just wondering if it’s possible to still use the fog light switch to allow power to the light bars but only have them actually turn on with the high beams? So that I could use my high beams without or with my light bars. If not I could just hook them up to the high beams.
Well, they won't be FOG lights if they're on with the high beams.

The factory lights only light on LOW beam (as they should, being for fog usage).

For a 1992 - you're still 9005/9006 headlights.

I'd a) first clean the yellowed and cloudy lenses off (yes, I haven't seen them; no, I don't need to see them; 95% chance they're at least cloudy and a 25% chance they're strongly yellowed due to being a 1992!) and b) add a relay harness (so the bulbs get the max possible voltage; I clocked going from 11.4 to 12.6V with motor off on my 1991 Cougar!) then c) do a 9011/9012 bulb upgrade ( see Ryan's guide to: Halogen bulbs - HiDplanet : The Official Automotive Lighting Forum for information on that).

And before any of that - get your eyes checked. I can see fine at 65 years old - you sure you want to tell me you young whippersnapper can't see as good as us olde pharts?

RwP

Reactions: Zep5.0 and JacobM

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, they won't be FOG lights if they're on with the high beams.

The factory lights only light on LOW beam (as they should, being for fog usage).

For a 1992 - you're still 9005/9006 headlights.

I'd a) first clean the yellowed and cloudy lenses off (yes, I haven't seen them; no, I don't need to see them; 95% chance they're at least cloudy and a 25% chance they're strongly yellowed due to being a 1992!) and b) add a relay harness (so the bulbs get the max possible voltage; I clocked going from 11.4 to 12.6V with motor off on my 1991 Cougar!) then c) do a 9011/9012 bulb upgrade ( see Ryan's guide to: Halogen bulbs - HiDplanet : The Official Automotive Lighting Forum for information on that).

And before any of that - get your eyes checked. I can see fine at 65 years old - you sure you want to tell me you young whippersnapper can't see as good as us olde pharts?

RwP
Headlights do need a cleaning for sure that’s true, but I just like how much light bars help with seeing as I do mostly highway driving and my area is full of moose’s. I switched my high beams out to LED’s that are white because one of my bulbs were burnt anyways. Im newer to messing around with electronics and im not sure what a relay harness does or how one goes to install it or where I can get one but I can look into it. Anyways I also have to figure out if it’s possible to have the low beams on with the high beams because my new white LED’s are almost too white and I can hardly see unless I have the low beams on too (pulling the column to have both on). You seem very knowledgeable and if you have any tips on that it would be very appreciated. Thanks for your reply.

·
Super Moderator
5,488 Posts
Headlights do need a cleaning for sure that’s true, but I just like how much light bars help with seeing as I do mostly highway driving and my area is full of moose’s. I switched my high beams out to LED’s that are white because one of my bulbs were burnt anyways. Im newer to messing around with electronics and im not sure what a relay harness does or how one goes to install it or where I can get one but I can look into it. Anyways I also have to figure out if it’s possible to have the low beams on with the high beams because my new white LED’s are almost too white and I can hardly see unless I have the low beams on too (pulling the column to have both on). You seem very knowledgeable and if you have any tips on that it would be very appreciated. Thanks for your reply.

Well, THERE"S your problem. Unless it's the really good LEDs, they suck for beam pattern. And won't do squat to fix a foggy headlight lens.

Clean the lens first. Or replace with new ones. They're available still - 1991 FORD THUNDERBIRD 5.0L V8 Headlamp Assembly | RockAuto if nothing else, but I'd sure check Amazon and/or eBay also.

Relay harness - try something like a pair of these Amazon.com: O-NEX HID Relay Harness 9006 9005 9145 40A 12V 35W/55W Heavy Duty Xenon HID Wiring Adapter: Automotive (one for the low beams, one for the high beams). Takes one wire to the battery and two to a ground for each set. Moves the current from the long path into the passenger area, through the firewall twice, and back out to just from the battery to the lights. Makes a big difference all by itself.

Then, again, use the 9011/9012 HIR bulbs with the mods specified in the article I linked to.

You'll get a LOT more usable light than you do with most LEDs.

And whereas you CAN, you'll ruin the distance vision. There's this thing called "near field blindness".

NFB is easy to prove - turn on your dome light. Now how well do you see down the road? Bingo! That's why the low beams go OFF.

But before anything else, at least pull those LEDs out and put good halogens in.

(There's folks that can do HID conversions also - you may want to consider them. But any of the PNP kits - stay away from. Do better to put sunglasses on and send me the money you save ... )

RwP

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, THERE"S your problem. Unless it's the really good LEDs, they suck for beam pattern. And won't do squat to fix a foggy headlight lens.

Clean the lens first. Or replace with new ones. They're available still - 1991 FORD THUNDERBIRD 5.0L V8 Headlamp Assembly | RockAuto if nothing else, but I'd sure check Amazon and/or eBay also.

Relay harness - try something like a pair of these Amazon.com: O-NEX HID Relay Harness 9006 9005 9145 40A 12V 35W/55W Heavy Duty Xenon HID Wiring Adapter: Automotive (one for the low beams, one for the high beams). Takes one wire to the battery and two to a ground for each set. Moves the current from the long path into the passenger area, through the firewall twice, and back out to just from the battery to the lights. Makes a big difference all by itself.

Then, again, use the 9011/9012 HIR bulbs with the mods specified in the article I linked to.

You'll get a LOT more usable light than you do with most LEDs.

And whereas you CAN, you'll ruin the distance vision. There's this thing called "near field blindness".

NFB is easy to prove - turn on your dome light. Now how well do you see down the road? Bingo! That's why the low beams go OFF.

But before anything else, at least pull those LEDs out and put good halogens in.

(There's folks that can do HID conversions also - you may want to consider them. But any of the PNP kits - stay away from. Do better to put sunglasses on and send me the money you save ... )

RwP
Thanks for all the advice, I will for sure start by returning the LED’s and give a good cleaning to my headlights and pick up some good halogens. The LED’s were recommended by some people at the store and now that I’ve tried them I will return to halogens before I start playing with some other stuff lol. I will look more into relays after that. And my headlights are in pretty good condition just a bit foggy so I’ll clean them up too. thanks again for everything, any brands for halogens you recommend?

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
18,828 Posts
The 9011/9012 HIR bulbs Ralph recommends are hands down the best upgrade for 9005/9006 housings, Phillips is the only brand that makes them

Otherwise if you stay with 9005/9006s stay away from the bulbs with blue filters for “white” light, they’ll have much the same troubles you’ve found with LEDs in the spectrum but dimmer since they filter ALL the light to cut the warms.

·
Super Moderator
5,488 Posts
If you DON'T go with the 9011/9012 upgrade (check the brands Ryan mentions in the link!), there's always upgrades like the Philips Racing Vision or the Night Breaker Lasers. But the 9011/9012 use a quirk of the halogen cycle to allow for even more output without any fancy schtuffs.

DO be aware that any of the brighter 9005/9006 bulbs will be shorter lived to the dim-out point (the average life isn't until they burn out, but until they reach something like 75% output ... ) so I plan on an annual replacement on my Dakota since I drive so much in it. It's just a cost like the state inspection or doing oil and filter changes.

RwP

1 - 7 of 7 Posts