TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about stock foglight wire. I bought a set of lights of a 93 LX to put on my 94. What size wire do I need to splice into the foglights? 16 gauge?

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
DO NOT SPLICE! I would get a relay, $3-5 at a car store, and run a fused 14-12ga wire from the battery in, then from the battery to the foglights, then a wire to the remote input from the headlights, and then a negative. You can have the foglights come on with your dims and highs if you use a pair of diodes for about $1.50 from Radio Shack. This is the best way to do it, otherwise you will probably fry your turn signal switch (MFS- Multi Function Switch).

http://www.the12volt.com/relays/page5.asp#rtol

Will (probably) need all of the following:
Power tester $2-4
Relay $3-5
Female connectors (4) $1-2
Electrical tape $.50-1
14-12ga wire $2-3

or

Replacement MFS $30-60+

·
Registered
36 Posts
Do Not

DO NOT SPLICE, DICE, or Buy anything...

All the wiring is there my friend...

If you want the details get ahold of me asap.. I will even call you if you like..

I will explain what you can do so that you look like the car came with them..

PM me a way to get ahold of you the best to explain this..

Karl

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Ya, and then your MFS can be fried. Several people have had this happen. I believe there was also a recall on it.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
XR7, you have a PM

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Just hope you know that if you do it that way, you increase the chance of burning out your MFS. I did just notice you have a 94, but I believe that still happened on other years than 89-93. My brother replaced the MFS and it still cuts out. I'm going to have to throw in a couple relays to go to the high and low beams because it's too much power for the factory wiring after it's been fried before.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Were you / are you, talking to me about what I stated?...

93pimpin said:
Just hope you know that if you do it that way, you increase the chance of burning out your MFS. I did just notice you have a 94, but I believe that still happened on other years than 89-93. My brother replaced the MFS and it still cuts out. I'm going to have to throw in a couple relays to go to the high and low beams because it's too much power for the factory wiring after it's been fried before.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Yes. I believe the factory wiring is poor on these vehicles. I would rather pay a little extra, about $10, than to mess something expensive up like I've done before.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts